Winter Eggs

Brynnoelleee

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2022
Hi everyone!

How do you all go about collecting eggs in the winter? I usually just collect once a day in the evening. Can cold and or possible frozen eggs be brought inside to sit on the counter or do they need to go in the fridge?

I collect once a day in the evening, at the same time as I do my nighttime check of the coop. I find that they don’t freeze if they're in the coop. If I do end up with a frozen egg, I would just give it to the dog since he likes eggs.

Hello!!
I collect once a day during the week, more often when off work. No frozen eggs yet despite high temps in 10s. Chickens tend to stay in coop and run. I add lots of straw to nest boxes. I have 4 laying still but 3 coming into POL exploring the three nests (only two get used). So far nothing frozen, but if/when it occurs I would simply give it back to the chickens.

Can cold and or possible frozen eggs be brought inside to sit on the counter or do they need to go in the fridge?
Very good question!!

I recently read in a blog (sorry, can’t recall the reference to cite) that cold or nearly frozen eggs brought into a warm environment will form condensation on the outer shell and could weaken or remove the protective bloom layer. The blog mentioned that eggs should therefore be stored in the refrigerator ragher than at room temp on the countertop due to potential for bacterial growth.
I have NOT been doing this, but it makes sense. Would love to hear other’s opinions.

Frozen eggs are fun to peel (still frozen) and watch thaw in the pan. Then there is no worries about condensation doing anything unwanted. If I hadn't wanted it eat them then, I would have shelled them frozen and put them in the refrigerator.

The novelty may wear off but so far I've only had three, all of them last year when I checked a little too soon in the evening. They froze overnight. I check for eggs morning and evening because I'm out there anyway. If it was only about the eggs, just evening should work because they don't lay during the night.

There are lots of good ways to handle this.

I collect a few times a day, since I am home. Mostly because my birds are just starting to lay, and I want to see all the fun new colors I am getting.
gloss.PNG

I collect mine several times a day as I am now working from home. -11C this morning. Heating is not turned on in the coop yet as heat produced by the chickens keep it above freezing for now. My coop is insulated like a house. Dec/Jan/Feb, I need to turn on heat, that is when temps are frequently in the -20C.

Even with these cold temperature, I still have several hens that keep laying all winter long. Here are the ones that are still laying
  • Leghorn
  • Created Cream Legbar
  • Black Sex-Link
  • Light Sussex
  • Plymouth Barred Rock

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom