Winter incubation set, anyone else!!

1 lav 1 lav split 3 leghorn/EE babies out... I think there were 13 or 14 more that had pipped...
woot.gif

I also collect more eggs to incubate the end of the week got 3 Marans, 2 Lav/Lav Splits and 2 Olive Eggers. Keep the eggs coming girls.... I need to test hatch....

First thing to go is the veins when the egg is a quitter. The blood drains out of the veins and pools into what they call the blood ring in the middle of the egg. Look at the edge of the air cell and if you see veins then the chick is still alive and growing. I know, it was confusing to me too the first few hatches, but with experience you will learn what to look for
big_smile.png

Good luck with your hatch! My eggs are due to hatch on January 29th. I have 11 lavender and 8 wheaten/blue wheaten Ameraucana eggs growing. Started with 28 but nine were not fertile. Darn Lavender rooster hasn't been doing his job!
rant.gif

AAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!!!! I'm so jealous! I really have the bug to try hatching eggs, but I don't even have an incubator, lol!!! I'm thinking of just taking the plunge and buying one. Nothing fancy, since I don't really want to hatch a ton, I like to keep my number of chickens somewhat low, plus I have chicks coming in the spring, lol! Not sure I will be doing it anytime soon, but maybe I might. I have been known to change my mind..... often!
wink.png

Good luck everyone!!!!

AAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!!!! I'm so jealous! I really have the bug to try hatching eggs, but I don't even have an incubator, lol!!! I'm thinking of just taking the plunge and buying one. Nothing fancy, since I don't really want to hatch a ton, I like to keep my number of chickens somewhat low, plus I have chicks coming in the spring, lol! Not sure I will be doing it anytime soon, but maybe I might. I have been known to change my mind..... often!
wink.png

Good luck everyone!!!!
Make you one.... they don't cost much at all to make. If you just are going to hatch a few at a time.... and small homemade one is the ticket.

Not quite sure I'm savvy enough for that. Especially with anything electrical. I'll have to check out the pages of homemade incubators and see if it isn't too intimidating, lol!

It really is easy! Don't even worry about the wire stuff.... I bet if you ask at the hardware store they might even do it for you or show you step by step what to do.

First thing to go is the veins when the egg is a quitter. The blood drains out of the veins and pools into what they call the blood ring in the middle of the egg. Look at the edge of the air cell and if you see veins then the chick is still alive and growing. I know, it was confusing to me too the first few hatches, but with experience you will learn what to look for
big_smile.png

Good luck with your hatch! My eggs are due to hatch on January 29th. I have 11 lavender and 8 wheaten/blue wheaten Ameraucana eggs growing. Started with 28 but nine were not fertile. Darn Lavender rooster hasn't been doing his job!
rant.gif

Thank you. That's totally makes sense. My eggs are shipped and I read that they don't always look the same when candled
idunno.gif
So I'll stop worrying that they are all quitters and just wait. I'll be happy if anything hatches
fl.gif

The only difference you might see with the shipped eggs is their air cells might be misshapen from being ruptured during shipping. If the air cell isn't overly large they can hatch just fine
smile.png

It takes a lot of hatching before the worry subsides
wink.png
The good news is that every time you hatch it is as exciting as the first!
celebrate.gif

There is a great post with pictures at almost every stage of the development cycle - you can get there under the Learning Center and Hatching Eggs. I think it is under candling eggs.

I would love to build my own incubator (currently borrowing a friend's) and have looked at the ones people have posted here. I wish there was some way to sort them out by size (# eggs), % hatch rate (subjective), wafer vs. electronic, cost to build, and rating (if others have copied the design.) It's hard to tell which ones were very successful and have good build instructions (for people like me who are clueless.)

Back
Top Bottom