Winter is coming...What is left on your to-do list?

I'm done :wee !
Me too. Then again the extent of my winterization is simply: 1) make sure there's still some wood chips in the run and 2) plug in the heated waterer. So most years it's just #2.

I'll continue dumping leaves in the run but it's less about adding to the run litter and more about getting rid of leaves, so not quite the same. :)

Me too. Then again the extent of my winterization is simply: 1) make sure there's still some wood chips in the run and 2) plug in the heated waterer. So most years it's just #2.

I'll continue dumping leaves in the run but it's less about adding to the run litter and more about getting rid of leaves, so not quite the same. :)

Mine was: 1: put tarps over certain areas of the pens, leaving ample space for proper ventilation 2: place a flat roosting bar in the pen that needs one oh and I almost forgot number three :p . 3: have the pep talk with Ursula (the silkie feathered girl) about her affinity with water and the inherent issue with this

I need to fix the tarp on my run. And I'd like to add another 2x4 roosting bar. Already wrapped my run and switched to a heated water bowl.

The big task I'm hoping to be done before we have too much snow/cold weather is integrating my two new girls into my flock when they're done quarantine 🥴 and teach them to use the ramp of my coop if necessary.

I still need to put my wind blocks up on the run walls, and thin down the flock for winter. I raise a bunch for meat every year and the time has come. I did my big biennial coop cleanout the other day, replaced the coop's summer screen door with a solid door, and plugged in the heated waterer, so we're almost there!

We are in North Central Florida and we have an open air coop. Having said that, we can get a few weeks of pretty cold weather so I put up tarps before a cold front. I do not use any kind of heat. The coop faces south east so they get the morning sun. I's in the 80's today.
1699560373551.png

Not necessarily for the chickens:
Rake leaves
Rake more leaves
Wait for more leaves to come down and rake more leaves.

Some of the leaves will go in the run for the chickens, some will go on the garden.

I need to redesign the second roost I made. None of the chickens use it. I want to make it into something they will use, and change the orientation to make better use of the space in the coop.

I also need to lower the main roost by about 4" so that the ventilation opening is higher above their heads when they roost.

Back
Top Bottom