Winter is coming...

Im mostly concerned about heat because there have been winters where it was 0 with a wind chill that made it -10.
Don't worry about 0*F. I have a few weeks every winter where that temperature is the high for that time period. I don't use any heat in the coop. Healthy LF birds will be fine. Bantams, especially hard feathered breeds, might require some help, as well as any roosters... for some reason I've noticed they're faster to die than hens. Of course, if it's just a one-night thing, I don't think I've ever owned a bird that couldn't take that weather.

It was -1F in this image... see, they're all fine, and even outside willingly! Birds are incredibly hardy.
-1f.JPG

Yep, it's coming.
Took the 'curtains'(pieces of cardboard to block sun) down in coop this week.
Shade cloths on runs will come down soon.
Windows will slowly be closed up tight as temps drop.
Water heater won't go in until it freezing temps arrive.

@ChickenCanoe has is right on about the horizontal nipples.
Would be good to start training your birds to them now,
while temps are mild enough that dehydration is not such an immediate health risk.

@Ninja Squirrel you're going to need some serious winterizing done on that coop and run. Crowding in coop can be atrocious in winter....run needs to be protected from snow and wind to 'stretch' the space they have.

The heated bowls of any kind aren't good for many breeds of roosters since to drink, they must dip their wattles in the water.
This made me LOL!! Despite the nipple waterers, most my birds get nipped wattles from noshing on the snow banks.

This made me LOL!! Despite the nipple waterers, most my birds get nipped wattles from noshing on the snow banks.
I swear, they think snow banks are their own personal candy stores. Boot snow especially is a special treat. Silly birds. It's not that they're dehydrated, they have unfrozen water available for much of the day.

I swear, they think snow banks are their own personal candy stores. Boot snow especially is a special treat. Silly birds. It's not that they're dehydrated, they have unfrozen water available for much of the day.
It cracks me up :lol: and kind of amazes me.
I wish I could get a good pic of the beak marks, chicken head high, going all down the snow bank.

Any suggestions for the sides? Were putting sheet metal on top
On mine last year, I just tacked up heavy duty plastic. It worked well. Look up your area and see which direction the main winter winds eminate from. I only covered 3 sides of mine and left one open as you don't want a tightly covered run either. On the top part of my run that wasn't covered, I placed a tarp.

Back
Top Bottom