Winter Lighting - LED?...

slimak_14

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2017
i'm pretty new here, but our chickens just started laying today! ok, one chicken laid one egg ~ but hey it's a start! i think we want to do winter lighting and realize we need to get on it as the days are already quite short here in europe. their coop is very small and i'm worried about a lightbulb, but we have an LED camping lamp (battery powered) that i feel may be the safest. Does LED lighting work for winter lighting... we don't really want to run power out to the coop, and for sure don't have time to set it up in the next 2 weeks. So if the LED battery powered lantern isn't a good long term solution, would it at least work for 2 weeks?

My whole run is filled with solar lights and I put one in their coop at night while they get settled. The lights in the run are pretty bright and stay lit most of the night. Usually I'll take one that's a little dim and put it in their coop so it goes out around 11pm and they can sleep tight for the night.

LEDs can come in a wide range of spectrums so can work well.
Once a young bird starts to lay, she may continue right through winter with no added light.
How many hours a day are you wanting to add with the additional light?

Back
Top Bottom