Winter management poll

Heat: no

Insulated coop: partly

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: sheltered doors always open

Coop size:15'X 18' I think

Litter method: Deep Litter

#of chickens in coop:30+ plus 3 turkeys

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): South Central Alaska

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 2

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods:

Chickens do quite well. We get very light frostbite here and there with our super large combed birds.
We need to add a bit more venting at the top.

Heat: Yes, on demand; infrared lamps; depending upon their degree of moult as they clearly do get cold at a much higher temp than normal.

Insulated: No

Ventilation: South gable vent is open, north sealed off. Enough leakage through top wall plate openings (see my website) at roof decking so all is good.

Coop Size 12' x 8'

Litter Method: Poop boards and shavings on floor

Chicken count: 8 - 14

Zone: Oklahoma 6B

3rd winter at this location

Excellent...no illnesses at all.

Quote:
No heat live where it doesn't get that cold

Yes on the walls that face the west because of the heat

Same as summer though I can close the doors for windy weather

Various sizes some have as few as 3 others have 12 to 14

rubber mats with deep litter trying slings under roosts

California zone 7

many

worst problem is adobe dirt that's why the mats you can sink out of sight when it gets wet then when it starts drying you can grow taller

Heat: No

Insulated coop: Yes

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.) you employ during the winter: Small vent is always open. I shut the large vent every night. Window will remain closed for the winter. I will close the pop door at nights when it dips into the teens.

Coop size: 5 X 6

Litter method: Deep Pine Shavings

#of chickens in coop: 8

How many winters have you been through with your chickens? This will be our first.

Sorry all,
I meant to have these tallied by now, but things got away from me over the holidays (full of excuses, aren't I) . I should have some time to enter all the data here in to a spreadsheet by the end of the week. Thanks for continuing to contribute!
A.R.

Heat: yes

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?: Lamp (red bulb)

Insulated coop: yes (floor, walls, and thin insulation on roof)

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: Vented on sides by roof line...not sure amount.

Coop size: 4 x 5

Litter method: pine shavings

#of chickens in coop: 6 (3 "regular sized" and 3 "silkie sized")

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Inver Grove Hts, MN

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: This is their first.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: We leave the heat lamp on 24/7 and there is also a water heater. The coop door is shut at night, but they still free range during the day. (Since we leave the coop door open during the day, we had to buy the water heater) They seem to be doing very well and I sleep better knowing that they aren't freezing during our cold Minnesota nights.
smile.png

Insulated coop: no

Approximate coop size: 5x3

Litter method: Deep

#of chickens in coop: 4

Location (state and/or city): Atlanta, Georgia

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 3

Heat: yes/no No, but could change when it gets below zero. Using
heated waterer now.

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?: Probably a heat lamp if we use any heat.

Insulated coop: yes/no Yes, 2" foam walls and ceiling.

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: We have about 7 sq. ft., but will close some off. Will
watch for condensation.

Coop size: 8X10

Litter method: About 5 - 6 in. pine bedding.

#of chickens in coop: 6 pullets and 1 cockerel.

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): NW IN, zone 5.

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: First one

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: Our cockerel had what I think is a mild case of frostbite,
so I closed off about 3 sq. ft. of ventilation.
Might close more if needed.

Last edited:

Insulated coop: yes - if you consider a 1970s trailer insulated
wink.png

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: Open window

Coop size: 10x12 and 10x10

Litter method: Deep Litter

#of chickens in coop: Approx 35 total in both

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Chickaloon, AK

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: This is the first with this flock. 6 years with previous flocks with much LESS protection.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: They LOVE going out and pecking in the snow and prefer snow to fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom