Winter management poll

Heat: no

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?:

Insulated coop: no

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: peg board floors, with planned leakage at the roof line and small round vents in the walls that can be covered.

Coop size: 4x6 3 coops

Litter method: normal, pine shavings and shredded paper

#of chickens in coop: 12-13

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Texoma zone 7

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 1

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: my flock is young, they are usually moved from the garage in Dec, before we get cold in Jan. We generally get temps in the 20s at nights after Christmas and for about 60 days. We rarely have more than a couple 3 days where it is below freezing for the entire 24 hrs. It is just cold enough to be irritating, not real winter like OH

Quote:
they do great, free range during the day except during the absolute worse weather., no frostbite, coop on the south east wall of barn, so winter winds are blocked.

Heat: yes/no

If yes on heat, what method do you use : 5 gal bucket with hot water and lid
Insulated coop: no

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: We have about an inch and a half of vents at the roof of each coop but the coops are pretty well draft protected on the walls

Coop size: I have 4 coops, 2 are a frame types and two are pallet coops but the pallet coops are different sizes because the base pallets were different sizes. One is 4 x 4 x 4 and the other is 4 x 6 x 4

Litter method: deep in the pallet coops and hay in the a frames (hay is easier for cleaning them - just roll it up with the pitch fork)

#of chickens in coop: 5, 10, 15, 5

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Jax FL

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: Last winter I had one coop and they all did fine.

Caroline:D

Heat: no

Insulated coop: yes

Amount of ventilation : windows in the summer and powered ventilation through roof, pasive ventilation through roof in winter
Coop size: 8x10 sun room run 10x12
Litter method: normal, pine shavings
#of chickens in coop: 34 thinning slowly to 22
Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Utica, NY/industrial zone 4

free range fenced in area about 1/4 acre
first winter of 23 RR did fine
this year we have about 10RR left and a mixture of EE, Black O, and Buff O.

Started the process of organizing the data submitted so far (printed out the entire thread--what a book!). Hopefully I'll have some graphs (or at least a spreadsheet) soon. I'll also add data as it comes in.
Thanks,
A.R.

Heat: NO

Insulated coop: YES

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: .5 (6"x12") vent open at all times. Pop door open all day. So far no moisture evidence on windows.

Coop size: 3.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 (covered, sheltered run 4.5x8.5 plus open run 7x13)

Litter method: deep litter pine shavings

#of chickens in coop: 4

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Meaford, Ontario

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: First

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: So far great - hasn't went below -6c/21f, they are not getting artificial light and are laying at full capacity (less than 10 hours daylight). They are resisting entering into the open run area into the snow. Only two forage there.

Heat: one 250w heat lamp with thermo cube, one 100w regular bulb on Houdan bantams

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?:

Insulated coop: yes, ceiling & walls

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: Not sure? I have 6 pop holes & two large vents. The vents are ALWAYS open and the pop holes only get covered if it's very windy and very cold (it was -25 a few weeks ago) and I closed the pop holes then.

Coop size: 8' w x 16' L

Litter method: deep pine

#of chickens in coop: maybe 40?

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Okanogan, WA 2,500' elevation (Loup Loup Pass) we get LOTS of wet snow and wind.

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: this is the 5th

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: Very well. I also feed lots of whole, cracked corn and wheat. I sprinkle it in the shavings and sometimes out in the runs if it's not snowing. I use pop bottle waterers I have two per pen and one in in the house, the other in the coop. I switch them out as needed. This keeps the humidity down, the shavings dry and their wattles dry, too.

I have been recording the daily temps and humidity in there for two years now...it's interesting.

A few weeks ago when it was -25 F (with the wind-chill), it got down to 21 degrees (F) in my coop. Last week, it was 22 outside and 53 in the coop! The temps have kind of leveled off for now (about mid-20s during the day, so all vents & doors are open. When I went out this morning to check water, it was 19 outside and 34 in the coop.

Heat: Somewhat

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?: DH put a heat lamp in 100w.

Insulated coop: Somewhat, one wall has insulation that I know of, the other ones seem to just be dead air insulation.

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: About.....dunno. A few sq, including the pop door that stays open.

Coop size: 8x10'

Litter method: Deep Litter

#of chickens in coop: 13

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Mid-MI

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: First with these chickens, I don't count the ones we had when I was young.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods:
I think they don't give a rip, it's more that the heat lamp keeps the temp comfy in there enough to keep the waterer ice free. It's not super hot, not super cold, just kinda cozy. No one seems to have frostbite. The really big vent holes we put in have been covered with a sheet of Tyvec, but the grate vents and the pop hole (plus the general minor drafts of a shed), seem to keep the humidity down. They all go out in the run regularly, and don't have a care about the cold or snow. I started throwing scratch grains and BOSS in the run and in the coop to make sure the a) go out side occasionally, and b) to get them to keep turning the shavings in the coop so I don't have to. I also put a flock block in the run to keep them happy and spoiled. Egg production has dropped in half or more, but the days are crazy short now. I don't think the heat lamp is sufficient for combating the short days, but that's ok.

Last edited:
Quote:
They have done well as the past winter (here in w. pa) had low temps in single & zero digits many nites. Have found some bantams not too hardy for a small flock in cold winter climate.

Heat: yes/no NO

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?: NONE

Insulated coop: NO

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: OPEN one side most of the time unless east wind comes in.

Coop size: 4x6

Litter method: manure stirred once a week

#of chickens in coop: 12

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Decatur, Illinois

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 7 in Decatur and 7-8 years on the farm in Brimfield IL

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: They have done well with the better coop which it is a Royal Outdoor vinyl shed. Scratch or warm food at night, plenty of vents, one door open most of the time unless the east winds come in, then I will cover up that door.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom