Winter management poll

Heat: no

Insulated coop: no, but draft-free

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: none, but two large doors are open 12 hrs a day to keep litter dry

Coop size: 6x5 bi level (open sided down stairs...draft-free enclosed upstairs)

Litter method:deep litter with leaves and pine shavings

#of chickens in coop: 5 standard, 1 bantam

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Grapevine, Texas (Dallas/Ft Worth)

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: one

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: I have one 60 watt bulb that comes on at 5AM for extended "daylight" so it may add a tiny bit of heat. I went with no night time ventilation to protect my bantam a little more...it all gets opened up in the morning to their extended outside run, then they free range in the backyard for two hours before dusk.

Heat: yes/no NO (we were heating, but lost 3 chickens to respiratory illness so stopped. none lost since and it's been colder now with 17 below one night and none lost)

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?:

Insulated coop: yes/no NO

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: NOT SURE how to figure that, but 22 I think. The eaves on either side are just covered with wire mesh to keep the critters out and allow ventilation. Directly below that is the loft floor/ceiling so virtually no drafts but plenty of ventilation the ceiling is complete except for a 4x4 square near the door. I see no frost on the walls but the poo is all frozen unless it's very fresh.

Coop size: 9x11

Litter method: started with deep litter but with the heat lamps there was moisture (and chickens coughing) I raked the top several inches OUT to get rid of the damp and added some hay.

#of chickens in coop: 15 now--three are old enough to lay, the others (that aren't roosters) should start in Jan/Feb sometime. I'm getting 1-4 eggs daily but usually 2.

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Princeton MN (south central Minnesota)

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: this is my first

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: much better now that I don't heat! I have two heated doggie dishes filled with sand for my water dispensers. When it's 0* or above they don't freeze. I exchange one every morning and in extreme cold, twice daily. I have another heated doggie dish for their fermented feed because it was freezing up faster than they could eat it. They get that and a tray of fodder daily, along with free-choice layer feed and calcium/grit. They are thriving and I never hear coughing now. That is a crazy sound--sounds like the chesty cough of a newborn.

Heat: Sometimes. When the temperature drops below -15.

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?: A single heat lamp above the perches.

Insulated coop: Yes

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: No clue on area. Our hen house is built like a people house, and it has soffitt vents and peak vents in the roof. Plus the roof is 14' high. If I smell ammonia at all or it seems damp, I'll crack a window at the top.

Coop size: 10 feet by 16 feet

Litter method: Deep litter

#of chickens in coop: 60ish

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Ohio, zone 6b

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: Eight

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: Everyone comes through just fine. We did have a teeny bit of frostbite one year on a large rooster comb, it let us know we needed to crack a window for more ventilation.

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?: N/A

Insulated coop: yes but only three walls, I left one uninsulated for this first winter just in case. Didn't want to over-insulate.

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: 12 sf at the top of the front wall of the coop.

Coop size: 8 X 8

Litter method: 5-6" of a combination of wood shavings and Lucernes Gold #1 chopped hay (keeps the dust down), plus some DE.

#of chickens in coop: 7 (two cockerals and five pullets. kept cockerals to keep pullets warm. will replace with more pullets in spring)

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): New Boston, NH

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: This is my first winter.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: It was below zero for the first time this past weekend. I added a heated dog water bowl for the waterer which worked but I think it's thrown off the humidity in the coop and now I need more ventilation. This morning the outside temp was 32 and the humidity was 60%. In my coop the temp was 30 and the humidity was 80%. Until now the coop humidity has been at or just slightly above outside humidity. One of my roosters has some frostbite on his comb, just a few little spots on the tips. I have plastic covering some high wall grates and will probably open that up to see if it makes a difference.

GREAT IDEA FOR A THREAD!

Heat: yes/no NO

Insulated coop: yes/no NO

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: See comment below

Coop size: 20w x 20w x 12h An old 1940 style garage. No insulation in wall or roof. Plenty of ventalition, as the old building has plenty of cracks to vent. Chicken roost about 8 feet off the floor on rafters.

Litter method: Deep litter! Straw, It starts off in late fall with 2 inches by spring there will be 10 inches or more.

#of chickens in coop: 20 chickens and 10 guineas!

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): NW Minnesota just south of the Canadian border. Zone 3

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: more than 10.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods:

Not lost any birds to cold weather at all. This is first winter they have totally shutdown their eggs production. Winter hasn't been too bad as it dip only once so far to the teens below. The rooster has a bit of frost bite on the tip of comb, but he will fare well.

Last edited:
Heat: no, but will heat water when freezing temps

Insulated coop: no

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: Cracks btw siding boards (sealed below 4' to prevent drafts) and open doors during day provide ventilation. Hayloft above.

Coop size: 8' x 6' within 24'x32' barn, free-range daylight

Litter method: deep (shavings over concrete floor w/hay on top) Started keeping water in aisle of barn (free access all day) so their coop stays dry, and use PDZ to help.

#of chickens in coop: 5 hens, 8 guineas

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): upstate NY, zone 4

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 1

No problems with frostbite so far and we've had temps to -10. I think keeping them dry is the key. Orps stopped laying, but RIRs & NH still producing well. (We do not supply additional light.)

Last edited:
wow you're in Minnesota and you don't heat your coop? I'm totally losing mind with worry about our temps in Virginia dipping into the teens this week. I've lived through a winter in Minnesota so I know how cold it gets. maybe I'll sleep a little?? easier tonight not worrying about my chickens. Great idea "welsummer 4! I'm new to this and have found that everyone is doing thinks different!

wow you're in Minnesota and you don't heat your coop? I'm totally losing mind with worry about our temps in Virginia dipping into the teens this week. I've lived through a winter in Minnesota so I know how cold it gets. maybe I'll sleep a little?? easier tonight not worrying about my chickens. Great idea "welsummer 4! I'm new to this and have found that everyone is doing thinks different!

Ok. How much ventilation should you have in the winter anyway? It's winter?
This morning it was -20F when I went out to feed the chickens. They were perky, happy, and ready to EAT as always. I opened their popdoor and they popped right out to have some scratch. I give them warm fermented feed in the morning, along with a tray of fodder, and fresh water. When it's this cold, they get more fresh water throughout the day--2-3 times daily before closing their popdoor for the night. My coop is 9X11. There is no insulation (just deep litter on the floor, but it's frozen in there) and the ventilation situation is 2 non-sealed doors (not much) and all along the eves (22' total) I put hardware cloth to keep the varmints out of the coop but let the air circulate. Just below the eves is a partial-floor (think loft). It's a converted playhouse. It also has three windows that are closed but have screen for opening in the summer. I believe I will have to reinforce those somehow for summer to keep out the coyotes, but for now the windows are closed and I see almost no frost on them, which tells me the humidity is good. I keep their water inside their coop. This is our first winter. It's going very well. I'm hoping summer goes well, too, as I hear heat/humidity is tougher on chickens than cold is. OH and my chickens don't have very large combs so I haven't seen any frostbite yet. I understand if I'm able to keep the humidity down, that will help prevent frostbite. I say no worries! They're pretty tough birds and happy, too!

I agree, nice idea for a thread.
'Tis the season *brrr* so let's add to it, shall we?
I came to this board because it's going to be 5degrees here tonight, and I made the poop board dry but didn't vaseline waddles. -worrying- I wish mine would learn to tuck their head under when they sleep!

Insulated coop: yes

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: Enough

Coop size: 8x10 but divided for storage so 8x7

Litter method: pine shavings

#of chickens in coop: 2

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Zone 7 Northeast U.S

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: This is the second winter.

So far, so good. I actually read vaseline might not be good to use for preventing frostbite. I keep the coop very dry with food grade DE, Stall-Dry and/or Dry-Stall .... it's so cold, I don't know how they manage to bear it!
2665.png

Back
Top Bottom