Winter management poll

It's 12degrees this morning. brrrrr honestly I can't wait to check on them before work. guess I shouldn't fret so much but I take the responsibility of an animal very seriously. of course my husband says "to extremes at times". it is what it is! Love this forum!

This past few mornings the temperature was -30 below and day time temps are -10! All the chickens, guineas and geese are doing just fine! The egg production has started to increase again. Closed off all but two of the nest boxes, forcing all the hen to use same nest. Eggs don't freeze as often this way, since there is most often a new hen laying her egg, keep the other eggs warm. This time of year I will gather eggs three or four times a day. So, those of you in the southern regions, anywhere south of Minnesota, your chickens can handle the cold just fine. Important to stop drafts and allow for ventilation.

Well it was 5 degrees with a wind chill of -15 degrees overnight. Waddles are beautiful bright red, no purple - yay! Sometimes I wonder with only 2 birds if there will be enough warmth, but even with our spacious coop they've come out of every freeze & storm just fine.
I always make sure they are given fresh water at night too, after they roost, to be available 1st thing in the morning in case they wake up before me. We use a heated dog dish - works like a charm.
Collected 2 eggs on this chilly morning.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Stopping drafts I understand but ventilation in the winter? can I ask to what degree? Our hatch door doesn't have a rubber gasket so there is venting there and I have two large windows on either side of the coop. One has a tiny crack because an extension cord is coming through until we get the wire buried and hooked up permanently. Other than that there is no area open to air. The coop is insulated on 3 sides. 8x10 with 8 foot ceiling. Just seems odd to think of ventilation during the winter. enlighten me! Oh - I should also add that my chickens were very happy to see me this morning and were doing fine!

Great tip billrey about closing off nesting boxes, I was worried about some of the eggs today I couldn't tell if they had frozen. I work from home a lot so I can go out several times a day to collect but I will be closing off a few boxes tomorrow until this cold snap is over.

for ventilators do you all have chicken house ventilators installed? Roof type? Or are you simply referring to a cracked window. I understand the importance because of ammonia, etc. We use deep litter and I never smell anything, only a bit in the morning until I cover with litter. We only have 3 chickens and it's a large coop. So I think for ventilation we are ok unless there is something I'm missing. I do know when we get 5 more hens in the spring we will be rethinking our ventilation - possibly roof type. Just curious what you all were using and if you think that just the two cracks I mentioned is adequate ventilation?

Minksroost, you'll be fine ventilation-wise due to having only a few birds inside a relatively ample space. I have 9 birds in my 6x12 coop, and covered their (3) 8x16 inch vents a few nights ago (there are windows for summer vent.). So overnight, there is no vent. except for cracks around the pop door and such...but dropping boards are scraped each morning, so no moisture build-up. And of course the pop door is opened each morning...

Thanks "teach1rus" . honestly hadn't thought about the window ledges as being a moisture issue because of droppings but I've been scraping them every day. I assume you have dropping boards under your roosts to catch much of the droppings? never knew there was a need for that because of deep litter. but with 9 birds it's a good idea you think? you have to understand I was sort of thrown into the chicken world without knowing a whole lot but have been doing my research and feel they are doing well. but I always like to ask questions and hear others opinions. We rescued our hen from a gas station parking lot! So that how this story began! : )

Thanks "teach1rus" . honestly hadn't thought about the window ledges as being a moisture issue because of droppings but I've been scraping them every day. I assume you have dropping boards under your roosts to catch much of the droppings? never knew there was a need for that because of deep litter. but with 9 birds it's a good idea you think? you have to understand I was sort of thrown into the chicken world without knowing a whole lot but have been doing my research and feel they are doing well. but I always like to ask questions and hear others opinions. We rescued our hen from a gas station parking lot! So that how this story began! : )
Well I love dropping boards because I'm kind of finicky about the coops getting pooped up...lol. Everyone does what works for them...many find DLM ideal for their situations. But because I close off almost all my night time ventilation through the few coldest weeks of winter, I def. don't want droppings accumulating (due to moisture build-up/unhealthy air). I would presume those who use deep litter make sure they have ample ventilation to release that warm, moist air.
With dropping boards, you just keep a small bucket and 4-6" putty knife handy and do a quick scrape/rake into the bucket each morning. I have three coops, and it takes me less than 10 minutes to make the rounds. About once a week I dump the bucket into compost.
I also like dropping boards because it gives you a quick look at their poo each day- to inspect for worms. I've treated my flocks for worms 2x (this is my 4th year with chickens), and both times I'd discovered a roundworm in poo on the dropping board. I doubt I would have noticed them otherwise...???
Keep learning! If you're like most of us, you'll change your mind and way of doing certain things several times as you figure out what works best for you and your birds...

Heat: yes/no No & Yes, under 20 F

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?: Heat Lamp

Insulated coop: yes/no No

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: 160 sq ft

Coop size: 10 X 16

Litter method: Deep Shavings

#of chickens in coop: Appx 25

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Stillwater, OK

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 5

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: They are free ranged during the day time and only come in the coop to sleep and lay eggs, unless the temps are very low or there's a real ugly storm going on. So far, they're very healthy and happy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom