Winter ventilation concerns

In the second pic, it looks like there's a soffit gap around 1.5" between the roof and the wall? I'd open that entire soffit to around 5"and cover with HC.
This^^^ front and back.
Add generous fascia to rafter ends to help block wind.
Can add thick furnace filter to gaps to dampen wind and block snow.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/

We are in northwest Iowa
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1632773348184.png

I worry about snow blowing in, but I think we are just going to have to go for it and see what happens.
So true.... no way to know until it happens.

As to temps.... do you mean single digits F or C?

If you mean single digits F, that is cold, but not bad. How far north are you?

I definitely see an increase in feed intake when temps go under 10F. If you are far north, or tend towards many cloudy dark days, I would highly recommend putting in a light on a timer. 10 or 12 hours should be enough light for them to eat, but not so much that they are triggered to lay.

It needs to be light for them to eat, they need to eat to stay warm.

Back to ventilation.....

Oddly... I found that in my chicken shed, snow blew in through the open eaves, but did NOT come in through the vents lower down on the walls. :idunno

I didn't fully close my eaves, just stuffed crumpled up feed bags in most of them.

My main vents in my chicken shed are below perch level. However, the sleeping perch has a solid poop tray below it, and a solid wall behind and above, so it is out of drafts.

My chicken coop has a window and a vent that is open all year, above perch height.

My bantam coop has WAY more ventilation. The top one foot of the 4 foot side is fully open, and the man door in the front wall is usually open. There is also a back wall vent, 4 foot by maybe just 3 inches. Also that building was built with tiny scrap, so lots of air goes through.

However.... their perch has a solid back wall and a solid poop shelf below.

Those little guys do great.

A little snow blowing in is fine.

Snow drifts in the coop are better avoided.

For openings/vents that are suddenly letting in buckets of snow, I have stapled up scrap remay (that season extender white breathable garden cloth). Quick and easy to do, even in a blizzard, if you can find the remay and the stapler.

So true.... no way to know until it happens.

As to temps.... do you mean single digits F or C?

If you mean single digits F, that is cold, but not bad. How far north are you?

I definitely see an increase in feed intake when temps go under 10F. If you are far north, or tend towards many cloudy dark days, I would highly recommend putting in a light on a timer. 10 or 12 hours should be enough light for them to eat, but not so much that they are triggered to lay.

It needs to be light for them to eat, they need to eat to stay warm.

Back to ventilation.....

Oddly... I found that in my chicken shed, snow blew in through the open eaves, but did NOT come in through the vents lower down on the walls. :idunno

I didn't fully close my eaves, just stuffed crumpled up feed bags in most of them.

My main vents in my chicken shed are below perch level. However, the sleeping perch has a solid poop tray below it, and a solid wall behind and above, so it is out of drafts.

My chicken coop has a window and a vent that is open all year, above perch height.

My bantam coop has WAY more ventilation. The top one foot of the 4 foot side is fully open, and the man door in the front wall is usually open. There is also a back wall vent, 4 foot by maybe just 3 inches. Also that building was built with tiny scrap, so lots of air goes through.

However.... their perch has a solid back wall and a solid poop shelf below.

Those little guys do great.

A little snow blowing in is fine.

Snow drifts in the coop are better avoided.

For openings/vents that are suddenly letting in buckets of snow, I have stapled up scrap remay (that season extender white breathable garden cloth). Quick and easy to do, even in a blizzard, if you can find the remay and the stapler.
Wow.. this is great info. The temps I mentioned were F, so it does get pretty cold. I looked up the remay - that is an excellent idea. Let it breathe but keep the snow out. We will most likely use that idea - when a winter storm hits there is a lot of swirling snow and high winds can be 30mph or more. After some calculations, we are going to have to open up the ends of the coop at the top and also most of the top front. Unfortunately, the roosts are on either end of the coop, which means a vent will be above them. That cloth will be a great idea for those areas. Thanks so much - I will post pics when we have the vents in place to see what you think!

This^^^ front and back.
Add generous fascia to rafter ends to help block wind.
Can add thick furnace filter to gaps to dampen wind and block snow.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2848463
I love the furnace filter idea! If we open up the west side for a vent, we will definitely need something like that - that side gets hit with wind/snow blowing from an open field next to our property. And thank you for showing me where to change the geographical location. I am going to do it right now! 😀

Just remember chickens are wearing very fluffy down jackets so they don't really suffer from the cold - it is the damp that gets to them. That means ventilation rather than warmth is key.
I did get some driving snow during a blizzard and have fitted a baffle inside which maintains the ventilation of fully open gable ends, but stops the snow falling on top of the chickens while they sleep. In theory I could close off the opening entirely but haven't seen the need to even in very cold spells. I am in Northern New Jersey - so probably less dramatically cold than you, but still plenty cold.
If it is ever really cold when you are doing chicken chores - just slip your hands under a chicken's wings - always nice and toasty!
Would you happen to have a pic of the baffle? I will remember to slip my hands under the wings. Haha Love it.

We don't need to keep chickens warm.

We need to keep them dry and out of the wind. They keep themselves warm with built-in down parkas. :)

Have a look at the awnings on my Outdoor Brooder. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

They're fairly redneck, but you could make something prettier if your roof overhang isn't doing the job.
I see what you mean. Great idea with the awning. We are not opposed to "redneck" if it gets the job done! 🥰 If we open up the back of the coop at the top, we are going to need to add an overhang.

Would you happen to have a pic of the baffle? I will remember to slip my hands under the wings. Haha Love it.
I am at a clinic getting a Covid shot but can try to get a picture when I get home.
It may be a bit hard to get a picture but if I fail I can do you a quick sketch.

Adding hardwire mesh then a fascia board would be probably the best and cheapest way to give more ventilation. Either way it would involve cutting the metal siding underneath the rafters. Also hardware stores sell long ventilation strips that don't allow rain to enter. They also have multiple sized louver vents that you need only a metal hole saw to install with caulking.

We are in northwest Iowa. I'm so glad you linked that article - it's hard to think about trying to keep them warm and also putting holes in the coop at the same time. From what I gather then, the vents at the top above the chickens will not increase "drafts", and as long as the rest of the coop is pretty tight we will be fine. In light of that, I think we are going to need to adjust our roosts so that the top roost isn't so high. Thanks, 3KillerBs!
This is the same issue I’m having and you worded it much better than I did. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom