Winterizing Coop

Cajunfilly

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
Last year we had a cold snap below freezing. Our coop is too small for a light for heat. In addition, my husband considers them a fire hazard. For the past three and a half years that I have had chickens, I have added a layer for winter protection. Last year, I had the crazy idea of crocheting a cover out of Walmart grocery bags to insulate the coop so I did. I cut the handles off, cut the bags into loops, used three loops together and interlocked with another three loops to form my baggie yarn, and then used a size P crochet hook to crochet the cover. Three bags made 2.5 inches of one row. I lost count of the hundreds, probably thousands of bags I used. It is NOT perfect, but I am pleased with it, The egg box, the roost drawer, the large side door are accessible and the vents are not blocked. I have now covered this and the run with a double-folded dark brown, heavy duty tarp. Tonight is our first freeze. Hopefully, they will be safe and comfortable.

Attachments

• Crocheted coop cover.JPG
    Crocheted coop cover.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 48
  • coop cover nesting box.JPG
    coop cover nesting box.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Coop cover insulated tarp.JPG
    Coop cover insulated tarp.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 44
  • North end of coop cover.JPG
    North end of coop cover.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 40
Wow that is amazing :bow Such a creative idea. I wish I had any of the skills required to do that. Good for you for looking for such innovative solutions to combat the cold. Truly impressive.

used a size P crochet hook to crochet the cover.
:eek:
Crazy!!
I guess crocheted 'fabric' would block most the wind and still allow for ventilation.

Do you get snow where you are?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-11-10_10-4-8.png

OMG! I crochet and knit, quite well actually. I cannot even wrap my head around a project this big. Way to go and good use of a resource! :bow:bow:bow

Back
Top Bottom