winterizing

blizzardfris

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
Hi! This will be my first winter with my chickens. I have over 12 birds. They have a shed that my husband converted into a coop. It is not insulated. I live in South central PA and we have cold weather--it can be harsh at times and we usually have snow. They have a predator proof run and access to under the shed if they want. What should be done in order to keep my babies warm?

Just don't have it drafty in the coop but yet well ventilated. That means have places in coop that wind does not blow on them and they will be fine.They will keep them selves warm.

They keep themselves warm, just the way they are, no help needed from us. I get the same weather as you, and the front of my coop is open year round. Open front, no insulation, no problems. Just make sure you DON'T seal up your coop. A poorly ventilated coop in cold weather can cause respiratory problems, and even frostbite due to high humidity levels.
Jack
900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

This is my coop, when I just finished it and don't have the run area done yet (all done now) most of the front is hardware cloth screen and I have a window on the side. I have 2 Buff Orp., 2 Dominiquers and 2 White Plymouth. I live in east TN, east of Knoxville and our winter temps rarely get below the 20 and stay there. Should I close up most of the front to help keep them warm at night? Don't know if you can see it but the night time roost is on the left side about half way up the front and I'm afraid there will be too much draft on them at night, any thought? Should I put clear plastic on half of the front, the half that the roost on on?

Last edited:
The thing with my coop, is that it is deep. So the front can be wide open, year round. With your coop, it's not deep at all, and the birds would be exposed directly to the cold, and sometimes nasty weather. Looking at your coop, I would block off the opening 3/4s of the way up. You don't want to totally shut off the ventilation, but definently close er up a bit.
Jack

Thank you, that's what I was thinking. This is my first go at chickens and I can see there are some things I need to work on and maybe add on to the coop to make it deeper. That's something I think I'll plan on during the winter and start next spring, but in the meantime, I will definatly close off some of the front (got the plastic today). Thanks again for your helpful comments.

Back
Top Bottom