Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Welcome back BCC!!!

Happy birthday's Anniversaries.... etc.....

Three internal pips on the eggs. I am really happy I am working during all of this and that the fair is going on so the kids are too busy to mess with the eggs.

Ok, time to get off the 'puter.

FT- I understand about the farrier, I had to stand and hold client's 6 horses... of various ages, and sizes. 3 + hours.
ack.. gronk tired... cuz I had a lot of other stuff to do , just ate.
Have a great one all.

Just chiming in on washing eggs...most of ours stay really clean, if there is dirt I wipe it off with a lightly moist dishcloth. Eggs that I sell go in the fridge, eggs for us sit on the counter until eaten, usually never more than a day or two. What I want - check that, NEED - is an egg skelter. http://www.egg-skelter.co.uk/ I've been emailing with the company, and they will be selling them in the U.S. this fall!!
big_smile.png

Ohh, they have a Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Egg-Skelter/161962613857937?sk=wall

Last edited:
THANKS for all the replies. I have been rinsing them off with slightly warmer water and then paper toweling them dry. The boys normally eat eggs on the weekend. I personally hate them. I just think it is pretty gross to keep them in the fridge with bits of poo and straw on them. I will wipe of the non poo ones with paper towel. I read the books too some contradict each other along with those egg washing kits so I just wanted to see what others did. I doubt if I will be selling them, I have lots of people who have offered to take the extras. Amyable, that is a cool contraption. I hope they are cheaper than 21.00 pounds here. The morning was beautiful for walking dogs, we saw a few deer, shooting stars and the cresent moon is gorgeous.

David

Beautiful Morning Everybody! Amy I've seen those somewhere before, one held about 2 doz eggs. One looked like a chicken and the eggs came out it's butt.
lol.png
Can't remember where tho. Want to get the camper finished today, it's goin home Sat.
celebrate.gif
Around 11 the meat birds will be getting cut up and in the freezer. Only getting 5 have to talk the guy into raising 10 for us next year. Enjoy the day!

ok I know that this was discussed before and I didn't listen then cause I didn't have any problems then, but I don't think this question was ever asked so please forgive me
lau.gif

ear mites? I think atleast 1 of our chickens has them, he's doing the whole shaking head while backing up thing??? is it ear mites? what can I do to get rid of them? do I have to treat if they are scedualed for butcher this weekend? can we eat a chicken that has/had ear mites? should I treat and postpone butcher? for how long?
so many questions I know. I'm so done with EXTRA birds! next year, no more than what WE can eat.
thanks
later

oh oh oh I Soooooo want one of them egg holders! I seen them before too but couldn't order one

Quote:
hide.gif
I do realize I am not as "seasoned" as some of you chicken folk are, but I did read somewhere (here we go) that you shouldn't wash the poo off eggs because you will send the bacteria right through the shell in the process. Instead, you should take a very fine grained piece of sandpaper & wipe it off with that. If the egg is really soiled, they recommended tossing them.
Now that is just what I read. In Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens. Before reading this, I washed all my eggs, and I'm still here, much to Jim's chagrin.
wink.png
hide.gif

Perhaps more research may be needed, but if you cook your eggs thoroughly, then
idunno.gif

I am going to stick my neck out , here,, something I seldom do..
I never have read Storey's guide to chicken raising.. and I am glad for it..

case in point,, If washing is going to force pooh through the shell, then why does sanding lightly not do the same thing, albeit to a lesser degree ??

we have been washing eggs for forty some odd years.. the major egg farms wash their eggs. I worked on a caged chicken farm.. believe me , even those eggs get pooh on them.. do you think they are going to toss hundreds of eggs? they wash everything..

On our homesteads, eggs do not linger long enough to become tainted to a dangerous degree..

and washing the bluhm/bloom off eggs does nothing to hinder their hatching.. dirty eggs in the incubator with high humidity and heat are more inclined to incubate something distasteful and nasty..

IMHO jiminwisc

Good Morning All,

I was going outside, but saw the landlord so now I am hiding in the house till she leaves.
lol.png
roll.png

If you want to wash the eggs run through water warmer than the temperature of the egg. If it is cooler than the temperature of the egg, then it will ,supposedly, drive bacteria into the egg. (I read this somewhere who knows where). Maybe BYC>.

If You are going to eat youir chickens, no need to do anyhing about earmites.
tongue.png
If you were to keep them a little Vet RX on a Q-tip works wonders.
tongue.png

Last edited:
to get rid of slugs safely, put a very shallow dish, like a pie plate, with beer in it, in the garden.. you might have to put several scattered around.. push it into the ground so the top edge is level with the dirt.. slugs will crawl into the beer.

you need guineas..

I would think that a light dusting of powdered lime would be acidic enough to do damage to the slugs.. I know that salt would eliminate them, but maybe salt is not the best for your soil..

a chicken with ear mites is OK to eat.. You do cut off the head and toss it, ?? we do..

I found a pulley for the mower, $43.oo and wait 7 to 10 days...

Dr H, what do you think ? If/ can I hammer this really bent up pulley back into shape? Or will the wavey edges wreck the V-belt ??

DrH. For the ffuture.. If you are going to cut up the chickens anyhow.. do it before you take the guts out.. take off wings, legs and theighs and neck.. then cut the chicken in half right along the edge of the ribs from belly to spine.. break it open, remove the innards, then cut through the spine.... put your knife in where the wings were and cut (perpenducular) the breast away from the back cutting towards the rear of the chicken..

we bag the backs for soup..

Or; filet the breast meat and use all the rest of the breast bone, ribs and back for soup..

I like to do it this way because it cuts the cleaning time in half..

and you might also know.. You can roast pieces just as well as a whole chicken.. I think it is better, because it is easier than trying to cut up a hot chicken just out of the oven..

takes up way less space in the freezer too..

JIMHO.. ........ jiminwisc..........

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Sounds like the voice of experience !!!! Glad you found a pulley but Wow, lotsa $$$$$ or is that a good price ?????

Cindlady, I'm going to get chicken feed today so when I get the reciept I can send you the ingredient list for your feed mill.
If anyone else wants it just PM me and I'll send it to you as well.

Back
Top Bottom