Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Hey all , on baby watch here and freaking out my first pip was 2 this afternoon and nothing more from that egg, now I have 2 more pipped, and moving some.....should it be taking this long??????????
    I'm freaking out that my babies are dieing? this is madding for me now I know why so many people get crazy on baby watch, I doubt I'll sleep at all tonight so I'll be around here somewhere.........
    Been there done that on my kids with the finger putty, smeared everywhere.......... I think all kids do that as my mom told me I also did, both my boys did and my grandson, so it's funny to talk about, but not funny to clean up........... take heart it usually only happens a time or two and they get over it.............. Kim

2. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin

What a beautiful rooster...............I love those feathered feet............Kim

3. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Thank you Kim!
    Try not to stress too much about your eggs. I know, easier said than done. [​IMG] But they will eventually get out. It just takes time. Feels like forever, hey? From what I've read & heard, the struggles to get out of the shell just helps them get stronger, and if they are too weak to break out, then they might be too weak to survive if you were to help them. Besides, if you opened up the bator, you'd risk killing some of the other ones. Best to try to preoccupy yourself with other things. My first eggs had quite a few hours between the pipping and the zipping. Drove me nuts!

I hope you will be able to relax and maybe get some sleep. They'll do it. [​IMG]

4. mxmarg

mxmarg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    SCentral Sconny
    BabyLady-
    I can't WAIT to see Hunger Games! I'll get to go with a girlfriend. We both tore through the books (like a good chunk of America). Here's a bit of trivia about me: I love getting creative with fingernail polish. So I'll come up with some fiery design to wear when we go :) How old are your daughters? So cool you went with them.

TO-
    does GF mean Gluten Free? We just entertained hubby's folks and his mom is "Gluten Free". Made her a cherry cheesecake! It's always fabulous to find a really good GF dessert to make...

Jim-
    Are you using an apron on your movable coop with the partial floor? We'll be using our chicken tractor that's now under construction soon enough and I'm seriously worried about weasels getting under the sides of the run.

CC-
    I adore Jack from afar! Thanks for showing more of his glamour shots! Does he still rule the roost or are his ruling days behind him???

I'm done with my work and I couldn't resist peeking in here one more time but I'm really going to bed now... Not even going to give Pinterest a chance.... backing away from the computer...

[​IMG]

5. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Well still nothing more from that 1st egg, the second is zipping thres a very large crack 1/2 way up the egg, another is piped and my hubby just heard 1 of them chirp, so they are still alive and working on being born.
    I guess I should expect the wait I had 36 and 38 hours labor to have my boys, maybe chicks need awhile too huh........... it's driving me crazy though............. I should have bought a bator I couldn't see in too......LOL will keep ya posted and pictures as soon as they are dry and in the brooder.......... TY all Kim

6. Cindlady

Cindlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    Hi All,

tiki... snoopy little buggers you got there! Careful they don't invite themselves to supper too!

WCc.... If Delavan is out of bantams Burlington has some.

BigZ.... It's amazing how time can get lost just watching the chickens.... so relaxing! Glad you enjoyed them!
    For a long time I was feeding a big brood of kids and kin. Got used to buying in big portions. Getting used to dividing them up now for 2 or 3 people. I still have 3, 1/2 turkeys in the freezer. I watch for sales and marked down items.

Jim... Don't need any black walnut trees.... but if you come across any started hickory I would LOVE them... and you! [​IMG]

CC... Looks like Jack has that modeling thing down pat! He needs a little runway!

GR65.... Breath! LOL.... I should talk! So far I let the broodies do the hatching...I plan on trying out the incubator on the first [​IMG] I'll probably be as bad as all of you! LOL

Well, the strange guineas hung out with my flock all day! They even checked out the inside of the coop. Come near roost time they headed north... 3 of mine fallowed... just before dark mine came back! Someone said they may have come from a few "doors" down...maybe 1/4 -1/3 mile. I think they may be males... they sound different. I think all of mine are hens! Haven't seen a 2 second drill, but who knows.
    DH tried to mow lawn... 1 garden tractor has a flat front tire (we have 2 spare backs!) The other has a flat back and is not turning over... The hand mower wouldn't start either! [​IMG] Young son is coming to put breaks on the car, maybe he'll have time to look at them too. 2nd son has to fix the tiller he borrowed so we can get the garden tilled soon.

I got the first 4 girls in the breeding area, they are not too happy, Tomorrow I will introduce the rooster. The girls are my Black Australops and the black cochin. The roo will be the Australop/gold comet.... should be some pretty birds and good layers. I'll set those eggs on the first.

Well, night all!

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    well good morning,, went to bed before midnight, so I woke up around 3AM.. tried to go back to sleep.. and finally gave up on that.

No I do not have a skirt on the movable pen.. It has a 2x4 base and the wire is curved over the top.
    the partial floor is attached to the top of the 2x4 base so it is raised off the ground 4 inches. I stretched a tarp over that section and end for shelter.. then I can put a light in there for really young birds. we call it the quanset hutch..

I looked in at my lawn mower .. it has a flat tire.. no surprise , that tire always goes flat. I suppose the battery will be dead ,too.. I have a "small battery" setting on my charger..

jiminwisc

8. unkadan

unkadan Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning folks,

21º in the north woods, back to real March weather I guess

Collected the materials finally to build a breeder/grow out cage via Jim "the swordsman" need to get this together this week since I will have to move the Marans out of the brooder after my Foolish hatch. Tried candling and I think 24 of the 27 showed life,,,couldn't get a good look at the Americana eggs with the light we used.

Joe still takes the prize for best busted mower story,,,,,at least there isn't a wave of shot trannys around the state. I looked at mine in passing, low tire and remembered I left the battery in the **** thing last fall,,,,I think I did treat the gas tank,,,hmm

working in the gh until it warms a bit, maybe make more soil blocks for seed starting, anyone with a big garden should check into those,,,really like the results when setting the plants and eliminate the pots entirely.

off to forage some breakfast,,,bbl

9. Cindlady

Cindlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    The roo is in with the hens...
    Hens not happy not being in the coop.... rooster not happy being caught.... hens not happy "new" roo in pen... rooster very happy! Hope I get good eggs!

10. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin

LOL :yuckyuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by