Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Good Morning every one
    update 7;18am
    They are still working on it, another pipped overnight, and the 1st pip is alive still she has a few more pieces of shell chipped off this morning........I was hoping too see chicks this am, but not yet. I do have a question though, my humidity seems very high in there the paper towel I laid before lockdown is wet, and the sides of the incubator are very dewy........... the mini eco does not have a humidity meter, I also had 1 pip on the almost underside, so I peeked the top open and turned it more upright, is that going to hurt anything, there isn't much wiggle room in there with 8 large fowl eggs for babies to move out of the shell. The directions said 10 eggs but I set 9 and 1 was bad at day 8, so I guess for every ones future reference in this particular bator, I wouldn't set more than 7 eggs next time to give them a bit more wiggle room. Is there anyway to get the humidity down a little or should I just pray? Kim

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Good Morning. Ugh the day is already starting out on a bad note. For one the puppy is behaving but our oder dog just ran off to the property next to us and was tormenting their chickens. Luckily their in a garage but still its ticks me off when he doesn't listen. So I grab my 20 gauge and after 1 shot he came streaking back to the house. (He's gun shy and no I didnt shoot at him, I shot off at some trees). I was not about to chase after him for an hour playing ring around the rosie around the garage over there. Ugh.

DH wants me to pick him up some Mallards today, I tried to talk him into waiting until I hatch the Rouen eggs I'm getting buy he wants the Malards now. Oh well. With the temps dropping this week I guess I am going to have to get brood the Mallards seprate from the rest of the group. So looks like I need another lamp, some bedding , and the brooder back in the house. I hope it doesnt cause issues when the ducklings are old enough to be put with the rest of the ducks. Well I guess if I have to I can make another run and coop for the ducks to be separate. Oh well time will tell I guess.

I worked in the yard most of the day yestarday, the rest of the day was spent putting together DH's new grill and DD's new 12 ft trampoline. Talk about a P.I.T.A . Well I guess I better go outside and check on the chickies and ducks. i hope everyone stays warm today.

3. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I think you should just leave the humidity. It is mainly so the membrane doesn't dry out as they pip and zip. You are doing everything right! I agree on the Brinsea... Love you can see in them, but they are small. Also once some hatch, I don't WANT to see the baby beast tromping all over the other eggs that are trying to hatch. tHAT is the nerve wracking part. Oh but those babies DO look like drunken sailors in there...;)

Keep us posted PLEASE! Good luck... And a prayer never hurts! :D

4. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    From what I've read about Marans they are to lay a dark brown egg, the darker the better so a white egg wouldn't be considered a Marans egg [​IMG]

5. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    MxM, we went to the movie all decked out. My oldest DD has hair long enough to braid so I did a Katniss braid for her, and she also painted her nails to have flames and managed to put Peeta on one and Gale on another. My other DD wore her HG shirt that I picked up for her at the Outlet Rue 21 in Oshkosh. They had been talking about the books for the last few weeks so I picked up the whole set one day. I procrastinated reading them until last week, then tore through all three. I just LOVE that we finally have a lead female character who is not a whiny crybaby and hangs her happiness on what boy she ends up landing..... this chick is one tough cookie!

CC, you need to get a pressure cooker. Fancy nutritious home made meals in minutes. Cooking at home does not take as much time as you think, it just takes some prior planning.

I wish we had room for a trampoline...... I wish we had room for a lot of things.

Ok, better get a move on. I have to be in the Valley by 9.

Later!

6. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    Good Spring Morning All! 34 here and windy. Guess I won't plant the cold seeds today. EL I make my own mater cages out of hog wire [6x6] I hate those store bought ones. This works great! You can get inside easily to trim the sucker branches and are very sturdy! For all of the people with the artistic chillins. Neither of my DD's went that route but both were projectile pukers. Walls, cribs, curtains, carpets, doors, being cleaned in the middle of the night. Thank god they didn't look up! Drip drip drip. [​IMG] Cind Happy Roo dance [​IMG] Jim take a nap. [​IMG] Had a slow leaker on the splitter that has quite apparently become a fast one. Taking it off and dropping it off on my way to talk to the mower dealer about the direction I'm gonna take. Do I spend the money to have it replaced and face the same situation down the road? I know that there won't be any trade in value if they have to replace the rear end even though the rest of the mower is in great shape. Can't sell it outright in good conscience. With some research found that it's a common problem and the rear end they are using now is not interchangable. Surprise! Supposedly they are not rebuildable, again Surprise! [​IMG] Hope that everyone hatching has a great hatch rate! CC think you should have named him Handsome Jack! Better go get the chicken chores done and get that tire off.

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    don't you have someplace to go? something to do? you are going to louse things up if you keep tampering.. humidity is fine.. eggs are fine,, a chick can hatch upside down.. leave it alone..

8. unkadan

unkadan Chillin' With My Peeps

Geeze Joe,

bad rear end,,,no wonder that tranny gave out

9. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I'm sorry... I apologize in advance.... Bad rear end ? No wonder the tranny put out...... Again I'm SO sorry....

10. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    Just be glad it didn't happen to you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by