Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

we all knew that the cold was coming back, right? well, I don't like it.. the hose was frozen this AM.. but on the upside, I had to wait only a couple of hours and it thawed enough to start a trickle. by the time I fed it was running full tilt..

two guinea pullet sized eggs in the chicken nests today.. YES !!! in the coop ,, in the nests.. hope they keep that up..

It helps a battery to have it well charged when you put it to bed for the winter.. something I rarely remember to do..

I plant my peas in double rows about 5 inches apart.. then they climb on each other.. don't ask me how they are for picking,, Annie does that part.. the only peas I pick are the ones that I am going to eat right now , right there..

Well Tomah didnt have their Mallards in, luckily I called first. But Wis. Rapids did so the kids and I took a little trip. DH wanted 3 so I bought 5 lol. We bought all mallarss except we got another black one like we did at the Tomah store. Is their a such thing as Black Mallards? We were thinking maybe Cayuga with the other one but now since this store had one also I'm thinking otherwise. I decided to keep these guys in the house in the brooder since the nights are suppose to be cold this week and so I can keep an eye on them. Here is a pic.

The chicks are 4 weeks old today, Boy the month flew by. So of course here are some 1 month pics. :)

Wow,
All of your posts made up for my one long one. No one commented about my "Novel" except Amyble, guess you guys just skip by when you see me post hey ?
gig.gif

Hey Bigz, what is an Ironwood tree?

I have some interesting trees. They are Aus trees. I guess they are a cross between a Polar and a willow? or something like that. The grow reall fast. The previous owners planted about on the property.
I"m thinking about starting some ine water, like the willows. We have a row of blue spruce we planted road side on the 20 acre hayfield but until they get bigger DH said we should plant some poplars that grow fast to keep the poachers from shining our field at night. Especiall when I put my horses out there this summer.

For all of you poopy parents out there "there is a name for what those kids are doing" Oh wait that is if they eat it. Sorry.
hide.gif
sickbyc.gif
I was at walgreens once and the store clerk was putting on her latex gloves to go clean the bathroom, (Mens room) Someone had managed to do the same thing that was done to the crib. Obviously there are adults that like to play in their dough as well. YUK !!

All those stories remind me of a little boy I saw in my old neighborhood. He was walking down the sidewalk and decided he needed to take a P. The street was lined with old Maple trees along the curb. My house was across the street from where he was walking. It was so cute, he looked around, no one in view (except me looking out my kitchen windo) and he walked around to the back of the tree to do his duty !!!! It was hilarious, He thought he was going behind the tree but he was peeing on the tree, street side !!! Guess you would have had to see it !!! LOL

Then when I bought my next house in Racine the neighbors were telling me about the little boy upstairs (All 3 were devils I swear) going poop behind the house. It was my house's back yard but again my neighbor kitchen window was right there !!! Of course it was a little boy too !!!
You guys, I'll tell ya !!! LOL

Ok, I"m done so I don't take up a whole page, again !!!

Sit tight on your hands so you don't open those bators !! I just set some goose and duck eggs last night, Will put more in today.

Hey Jim, how many goose eggs do your hens lay before they start setting? Do you have just the sebs or do you have any other breeds? Just curious.

PS I have at least a couple of dozen guinea eggs collected so far. I was so happy to see the guineas doing there job yesterday. From a distance I thought a guinea had a huge night crawler yesterday. After closer inspection, it was a slimly little read snake !!!
highfive.gif
Good Guinea, Good Guinea !!! Any idea what kind of snake it is?

Now they need to start on the ticks. I found one at the nape of my neck last night !!!
smack.gif

Thanks mxm! No, litle Jack is only top roo to the teenie boppers. Moose rules the roost around here.

Cind, I think Jack would love a runway to strut down. Shhh, don't give him any ideas. He is a little ham, isn't he? Sorry to hear about your lawn mower blues. They sure can be a pain when they want to be. I hope your DS can fix them for you. Did he get your tree put away?

Our mower had a flat tire too, but DH got it filled & cut the grass yesterday. Wow, did it ever need it! Unbelieveable cutting the grass in March. As for the batteries, yes they are a pain, but last year DH bought some solar battery trickle chargers from Amazon and do they ever work great! Our pole barn has a skylight, so it stays pretty bright in there, and it was actually enough light to keep the chargers working. You leave the battery on the mower & just attach the charger right to it. They also have some pretty long cords so you could probably set them in a window if you don't have skylights. I think they are made to work outside too, but I'd better ask to be sure, if anyone is interested. They were pretty cheap too, as far as battery chargers & solar stuff goes. And you get 2 of them in one package.

Awwww, that's sad about you blues getting picked on so much, MLH. Chickens can be so darn mean sometimes.
sad.png
And if you do get a butternut tree, they need a 2nd one for pollination also, and a good sturdy cage around them because the deer & squirrels like to chew them to the ground when small.

Oh, that maple syrup thing sounds really interesting. Do tell, H&R.
big_smile.png
I sure hope your DS is feeling better real soon, poor guy.
hugs.gif

Good luck on the house, Raiq!
fl.gif

Bigz, what is an Ironwood tree? I've never heard of one either.
hide.gif

Awww, Apyl, those duckies & chickies are soooooo precious!

Jim, you're just never happy, are you? First you're complaining it's too hot, now it's too cold. Make up yer mind already. This is WI. You should be used to it by now.
wink.png
I'd much rather have the warmer temps back too.

FT, you almost had me confused for a second. First talking about guineas doing their job (I assumed you meant the 2 second drill since you mentioned eggs), then you mentioned that one had a night crawler. Like I needed that detail????
lau.gif
Then when you started going on about the snake, I figured it out. Geez, you need a road map to follow your train of thought some days!
gig.gif

Thanks mxm! No, litle Jack is only top roo to the teenie boppers. Moose rules the roost around here.

Cind, I think Jack would love a runway to strut down. Shhh, don't give him any ideas. He is a little ham, isn't he? Sorry to hear about your lawn mower blues. They sure can be a pain when they want to be. I hope your DS can fix them for you. Did he get your tree put away?

Our mower had a flat tire too, but DH got it filled & cut the grass yesterday. Wow, did it ever need it! Unbelieveable cutting the grass in March. As for the batteries, yes they are a pain, but last year DH bought some solar battery trickle chargers from Amazon and do they ever work great! Our pole barn has a skylight, so it stays pretty bright in there, and it was actually enough light to keep the chargers working. You leave the battery on the mower & just attach the charger right to it. They also have some pretty long cords so you could probably set them in a window if you don't have skylights. I think they are made to work outside too, but I'd better ask to be sure, if anyone is interested. They were pretty cheap too, as far as battery chargers & solar stuff goes. And you get 2 of them in one package.

Awwww, that's sad about you blues getting picked on so much, MLH. Chickens can be so darn mean sometimes.
sad.png
And if you do get a butternut tree, they need a 2nd one for pollination also, and a good sturdy cage around them because the deer & squirrels like to chew them to the ground when small.

Oh, that maple syrup thing sounds really interesting. Do tell, H&R.
big_smile.png
I sure hope your DS is feeling better real soon, poor guy
hugs.gif

Good luck on the house, Raiq!
fl.gif

Bigz, what is an Ironwood tree? I've never heard of one either.
hide.gif

Awww, Apyl, those duckies & chickies are soooooo precious!

Jim, you're just never happy, are you? First you're complaining it's too hot, now it's too cold. Make up yer mind already. This is WI. You should be used to it by now.
wink.png
I'd much rather have the warmer temps back too.

FT, you almost had me confused for a second. First talking about guineas doing their job (I assumed you meant the 2 second drill since you mentioned eggs), then you mentioned that one had a night crawler. Like I needed that detail????
lau.gif
Then when you started going on about the snake, I figured it out. Geez, you need a road map to follow your train of thought some days!
gig.gif

He seems to be feeling better here this afternoon, the congestion/stuffed up nose seems to be loosing up for him, I will probably make him sit in the bathroom with a steamy shower running later tonight just to help clear him more. This isn't the 1st time we have had this, thankfully this one seems very mild and no ER run in the middle of the night! This year with the warm and than cold weather seems to bother him more than usual.

As for the maple syrup making, I'll see if I can find some pictures to post as that helps make the process interesting. So I will post about it when I dig up the pictures, DD took some as a project of photography- to tell a story. The judge thought that was very cool and he told her the process of what we were doing just by looking at her 4 pictures- she got a blue on that
big_smile.png

Well our 2nd Indiana Jones movie is done- he just loves to watch these movies yet didn't want to watch the muppets until we just put the movie in and told him he could watch with us or go and play in his room- he now likes them too!

H&R Glad the little fella is feeling better, I hate to hear of little ones feeling under the weather, not a darn thing you can do to really do to help sometimes but let it run its course.
hugs.gif

Just called TSC in Ironwood MI out of curiosity to see what the have. Here is the hatchery that they get their chicks from. Thought you all might be interested in their website.http://www.townlinehatchery.com/hatcherychicks.htm

Afternoon all!
Just thought I'd get caught up while the laundry is churning and drying.

CC-Thanks for the tip on the Butter Nut trees. I could plant 2. I like nuts more then plums....

TO and Raiq-I couldn't remember if there was a bush type pea. Raiq's sugar snap was what I was thinking of. I don't know of I would want to plant them back to back. While they might love it, it would drive me nuts to look out at my orderly garden and see a pea frenzy. I have enough troubles keeping the tomatoes in line! LOL! The love to grow in places that no tomato really needs to be...then snots...So they all get stakes and the tomatoes contained and prison bars if they are bad.....LOL!!

H&R-hope the youngester is feeling better! Muppets!?! How can no one not want to watch the Muppets!! The original show was the best but the newest movie was very adorable. Loved it!!

Apyl-that duck looks like a Cuyuga. Very cute!! I love your roosters....Mawhahwhahahahah....I honestly can't remember if Mallards come in black. They only show in gray and snowy if I remember correctly. East Indies are black and of course the Cayuga. Runners come in black but he/she is not a Runner. Muscovies do come in black but I've never seen a baby Muscovy so I don't know if that's what you have. Either way, I'm thinking you have another Cayuga but still it's super cute! Congrats on the new babies!!!

Well, I'd best be off...doggie dinner time id almost at hand!!!

ETA: BigZ! Thanks for the info on the mower batteries!
smile.png
I bet that is the problem!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom