Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Sandi, TerriO just left with all the pens.. maybe I know somebody closer to you who might have one.. hang loose for a bit and I will check it out..

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Afternoon All. I'd like to pick the brains of the duck people here. DH has been pulling his hair out over our pond. It is about 100'x60', near the house, and growing weeds and algae like mad. He's been treating it last year and this year already with non-toxic dyes and weed treatments, but we aren't getting the results we'd like. I said it needs ducks, which he scoffed at until he read that ducks eat weeds. So he wants ducks now, doesn't want to wait for the ones in my bator to hatch in a month. I am both this [​IMG] and this [​IMG].

Do you guys think a small flock of ducks would help keep the pond less weedy? I mean, I'm getting ducks anyway, but that would be a nice bonus. I did a quick CL search and found some mutt ducklings and adult Scovies within driving distance. Will gladly accept your input.

And just have to shout out that as of this morning my bator is completely full for the first time. Not a space left. [​IMG]

3. unkadan

unkadan Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi folks,

Amy do you aerate the pond? Or have something like a fountain spraying up in the air at least

keeping the water oxygenated* and moving will keep out algae,,,weeds different story but maybe

ducks will for sure "stir the mess" but not sure how really affective they will be cleaning it out,,,,,

a friend here has pond maybe a bit bigger, 12-16' deep at the middle, he treats his 2 times a summer, but has a large supply jet shooting over it all year,,,no ducks other than natives but lots of fish and whatever he uses is safe for everything, his gran kids swim in it all summer

4. unkadan

unkadan Chillin' With My Peeps

of course you could toss out some decoys and corn,,,betcha you'd have ducks real soon

5. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Jeepers Sandi... Do you really need to fill up the Bator completely?? You have a problem... ;)

6. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Evening All!
    Forgot what I was gonna say....

FT-I say got to the seminar! DH will be there and he has been talking crazy talk again getting a black Silkie rooster for his "meat bird" project he has in his brain....I'm not sure what the door prizes are though....food probably...Cabnet Incubator....not so much...But that is a great idea for next year....hmmmmmm....

GR65-Adorable Chicks!!! I know the worry you go through well, I got through it too! By the time the hatch is over I swear in need to go to the doctor for ulcer treatment! It wasn't so bad with the quail. Those popped like pop corn and I could not keep up with the little suckers! It seemed like I had to clear everyone out twice in 10 minutes just so those pipping would have some room to hatch in! Those where actually quite fun to hatch.

Apyl-Congrats on the DL! For a minute I thought I was back in Cali with all the rules they had just so you can prove your residency!

Well, I think I'll go scrounge up so dinner.....what to eat....maybe just some granola cereal smothered in maple yogurt.....yum....

7. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    WHO here has the bator addiction?!?!?!?!? How many sets of eggs have you hatched/bated so far this year, your first year, missy? Hmmmmm????????? [​IMG]

8. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Amy how deep is your pond? Weed growth is also inhibited by lack of sunlight; an aerator is not a bad idea, there are several small solar powered ones available out there. Have a small flock of waterfowl will help too; it does not necessarily have to be ducks, geese or swans work too. There is an all natural substance you can put into the water to cut back on the plant growth.... can't think of what it is at the moment.....

I am part of a group that is working on our lake here in town so I have done a lot of research on how to clean up weedy bodies of water.

DD just found out one of her good friends is moving to Alaska this summer...... What a bummer.

9. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Zip it Rockin... I don't know what you're talking about. I have only been hatching eggs since early Jan. DUH......:p

10. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    Hi, so I was suppose to get 2 more baby chicks, but the incubator broke and now I am on the look for 2 more chicks between 2 days old and 2 weeks old. I am in Southeastern Wisconsin. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by