Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. unkadan

unkadan Chillin' With My Peeps

bk,,,warming up again,,lol

Jim my plan is to toss a frozen plastic bottle in the bucket on hot days IF I get hot days this year ,,,"nicely feathered out" ok that will be awhile with 2 more batches of chicks to go,,,,

FT if you think you can grow pumpkins to maturity, then corn days under 90 shouldn't be an issue,,,just sayin

2. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    I cant take the crazy long hours between all of your guys/girls chicken news! almost 3hrs since last post...

I really have no new chicken news except have to build an growing coop out in the barn this weekend because meat chickens are coming tomorrow and little chicks are feathered up enough to go outside. Although next weeks weather I may have to put a heat lamp out there for them! wow low 20's in Madison next week, I now have a bunch of extra work this weekend.

Side note, I will now eat the piece of Salmon with the bones at home instead of bringing it to work. Kinda messy at my desk pulling bones and picking through it, but soooooo good!

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    What happened to Nora's dew claw? I think I should try and get some serendipity corn. Sounds delicious.

Yeah TO I know. [​IMG]

Well I am a better outdoor person than indoor person. I like to plant stuff. I wish I would have taken pictures of where I put the coop. I had to dig poison ivy up all over over there. Got a good case of it too. Then I have been digging up glass, metal you know from the ground. Lots of places are like that in the country from where in the olden days people had their personal dump sites. I planted lillies in a row and lilac bushes and a perennial garden which seems to be the chickens favorite spot. I just about hit the ground when the lady said my chickens were causing the ground to be packed down like cement! [​IMG]and ruining it! ruining the dirt. But that is only one person's opinion. I was so shocked I couldn't say a word. lol I didn't know what to say.

I love all this organic compost I am getting, it is really enriching my garden area. I have a pH tester I should go test the dirt and then make amendments, but that would require me to do some research too. Hmmm It is so much bigger than last year. I guess I am OK with the forecast because I won't be able to plant anything for a couple of weeks anyway. It will be a good time to see if my experiment crop makes it. Without me doing the whole/half of the garden. I planted radishes, lettuce, tats oi, dandies, collards, and something else I forgot. I hope they are OK.

A couple years ago where I had a bird feeder the sunflower seeds came up very early all over the place and they made it through some pretty cold weather. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I got some of that pocket net EZ fence at Menards. It is mesh and is right next to the snow fence. They only had it in 50 ft. I got the dark green, not the blaze orange.LOL I think it will make a good shade cloth or temporary fence or seperator fence for the chickens. I am sure I will be back for more soon. I already have a list of more things to get at Menards. LOL

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Afternoon All.... Thanks for the nice suprise CC!

In regards to the starter feed mazojoe....if it's a starter/grower feed you are using, you can continue with that til the birds are 20 weeks old, and then switch to a layer feed. You don't want young birds to eat the calcium that's in the layer feed til they are ready to lay, it can cause liver damage and is not recommended.

Another hard freeze coming tonight. Plenty chilly this morning too.

bigz

6. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I know !!! i just obeyed my DH about this. I told him several times about the serendipity. He made out a list and put the exra sweet corn on it. So I don't have to hear about not listening I did my part of the vows and Obeyed.............. This Time !! LOL

7. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus

Oh this is a good question... just planted some seeds for spinach and radishes... I dont think they are coming up yet.. will they be ok?

8. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    i covered my salad garden last night. The lettuce is already killed off. the freezing rain we got a week or so ago took care of that. The tatsoi and peas still look fine though! And the spinach hasn't started coming up yet. I didn't plant ANYTHING outside last year til May, so I'm not too worried. Plenty of time yet to get things going from seed outside.

I have WAY more watermelon than I need! I only wanted about 5. I had a horrible time last year and my watermelon kept dying. Well, this year I have 21 plants! They didn't come up within the two weeks so I replanted. Both rounds have come up now! I still can't get tomatoes or peppers to sprout though. I've tried 3 times! I've never had this much trouble getting them started before.

9. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

I agree, that's the best way to feed them.

Earthlady, are going to process those 1 yr old sexlinks already. They are just now in their prime for laying tons of jumbo eggs !!! Why would someone sell them for eating birds? [​IMG]
    With as many roosters as there are out there why eat a perfectly good laying hen ????? JMHO

TO I want to try different varieties of pumpkins. I have tons of places to plant, remember I have 80 acres !! LOL I bought aWinter Luxury Pie pumpkin(an excellent keeper), a SnackFace (has tons of seeds) a Cinderella pumpkin, for making Cinderella Pumpkin wine, Phantom Hybrid (20-30 lbs nice strong handles)for a general carving pumkin ( & (to sell), Small World of Color (different colors of pumpkins (decorative), Hijinks hybrid (6-7 lbs High yielding, durable handles good for decorating,painting and carving) and the 7th one is Autumn Gold hybrid 9turns golden weeks before other pumpkins for northern gardeners, vigourous vines bear 7-10lb pumpkins.
    So does that answer your question. I planted Connectiut Field last year and wasn't particularly pleased with them. This year they are going right into the ground. So we shall see.
    So I have big pumpkins for big kids, little pumpkins for little kids and seeds for DH and chickens and the Cinderella for my coach !!!! Oh and the pie pumpkins for delish pies !!! I love ho-made pumpkin pie !!!
    If it was up to me I"d plant just pumpkins. [​IMG] No comment CC. And they didn't have a seed to grow M&M's !!! LOL
    I also bought some sorgum (broomstick) 2 varieties. Says you can use the seeds for birds, do chickens count? LOL

So Bf4m, when did you put your eggs in? Say did you have ther throw in a orp egg? One egg is a whole lot bigger then the other silkie eggs, doesn't look like a LF egg though but not a silkie either ? Is the joke on me ???

Ok, time to do more reading. I have to find a wonderful website on growing pumpkins. It was on my old puter but that bit the dusts. The search is on !! lol

10. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by