Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I went to the laundromat today and wow my clothes are all clean and dry. It feels so good.[​IMG] I can't remember the last time they looked and smelled so clean!!!!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    kristip I believe spinach and radishes will be just fine. My sister plants her spinach in the fall and it comes up in the spring. And she lives in central Maine, the same lattitude as we do. (or is that longitude? lol) Well any way the same climate. I don't forsee any problems with radishes either. The book says you can plant spinach 8 weeks before last frost. And is not clear on radishes but says something about as soon as the soil can be worked.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  3. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Did ya bring your back yard poultry magazine along to read?

Here is a good article from it.
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/i...ks_is_easy-if_you_learn_from_the_experts.html

I can't find the incubating article online from the newest issue yet. ?????? Hmmmmm Still searching.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Hi FT! That new article is good. Advanced Techniques in artificial incubating eggs. The author talks about some things in there that are totally contrary to what I believed. For instance, he said that you do not start lock down until after the chicks pip. And the pipping and zipping process can take up to 72 hrs.. He also states that when there is a chick that dies at the last minute before hatching, it may very well be that it had been turned improperly at the beginning of the process~ and not drowned like so many believe.. It is the best Backyard Poultry magazine I have read. There are a lot of good articles in it.

The author has Toulouse Geese and talks through the whole process of the goose incubating and hatching sequence. He once hatched Macaws and tells how and why and when to help out a chick. He makes it understandable and clear that a person does not help out too early. This is off the top of my head but man that is a good article. :)

5. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    I'm not sure I understand your question. I don't know why someone is selling them. They are getting rid of around 3000 of them though! There are lots of big poultry places around here that sell after a year so it doesn't seem all that odd to me. [​IMG]

Our new coop is FINALLY here! We just have to add some roosts, paint, add a set of latches to the doors to the nesting box and put some bedding in and it's good to go! Yes! He's supposed to come back next week to add the wheels. The ones he got didn't work.

[​IMG]

6. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
  7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Hi All, just moved 22 eggs into the hatcher.. 7 Del,, 15 BarOck

Nora is just fine.. The vet just clipped her dew claw,, in fact he clipped all of her toe nails.. gave some antibiodics, Yeah "gave" for $47.oo !! I have never had a pedicure .. pretty bad when the dog gets treated better than the owner, eh?

...........jiminwisc........

8. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    so... with EE's.. is it reallyearly tail feathers that indicate roo? cant remembr. but one has quite a tail coming in on day 5.
    Oh and Cheryl- is there a size difference in roo vs pullet in Andalusians? I have two blues but one is bigger than the other

9. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Here is the name of the article that Tiki244 is refferring to. It is not available online. Guess I'll have to buy the magazine.[​IMG]
    "Advanced Techniques for Artificial Incubation & Hatching"

Earthlady, I guess the big business's do that kind of thing. They are afraid that after a year they might start laying a few less eggs. Out with the old and in with the new.
    But as far as selling them at butchering chickens I think that is a total waste of a good laying hen. They have at least another good year to lay well for the backyard chicken keeper. And even longer. Just sayin if someone is looking to get birds to butcher there are plenty of roosters that would be available for that. Save the hens for eggs........ Just sayin.

10. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Nice coop Earthlady !!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by