Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I have NO idea what the bigger egg is! I love surprises though! May be its a double yolk silkie egg...:D

I set my eggs today. I only candled the ones I put in the Brinsea. I didn't see any cracks or anything funny, so then iI just popped the others in the hovabator.

2. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  3. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    It very well could be a double yolker !!! Twin Lavender silkies !!! LOL How cool would that be !!! She didn't ahve an L morked on it either ???? Mystery egg !!!

4. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I dropped a fully developed egg on the floor today. There was a blood puddle on the floor and a dead chick. It was due to hatch yesterday and wasnt even in the right position, so I guess it was already dead. At least thats what I'm telling myself.

5. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
  6. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    THANKS!

Yeah, they're advertised as laying hens/stew hens. In fact. Here's the ad. http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/grd/2918888386.html [​IMG] I'm taking 6 of my old hens in and getting 4 of these to keep for eggs in place of the 6 I'm taking in to butcher. But the rest of my friends are just getting these to butcher.

7. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Thank you TO for the info!

Got out and ran the trail behind the school tonight (ok, I walked and sort of ran the trail....) and discovered my 12 yr old is really out of shape! Poor kid could not even keep up with me, and I am in TERRIBLE shape! I told her it was pretty bad that an almost 40 yr old was kicking her butt. I believe she had an epiphany today and will now be much more willing to come and run with me and the 16 yr old.... ;) I also thanked her for coming along with her old mom.

After the kids telling me for 2 days that the ducks were not laying eggs and then I come home and find the 'missing' eggs, I have had to explain to them that they actually have to stick a hand inside the nest to find the eggs! I would think that they would know that the ducks cover the eggs up to protect them by now..... I guess they have had a refresher.

Looking forward to our Easter meal. I have a nice big ham (sorry Frenchie) from our local butcher that I am going to cook out on the grill..... if you have never cooked a ham on the grill I suggest you try it sometime. If you like bacon; it is like eating a giant hunk of bacon! So juicy and oh so yummy! The trick is to put the ham in a pan of some kind that will withstand the direct heat (like cast iron). That way it is not getting burned.

EL your coop is so cute! I cannot wait to see what it looks like all painted up; you too BigFam, I can't wait to see what you have done to the inside of your coop!

TTFN!

8. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I create more work for myself. It won't be anything too fancy. Just a giant flower on a wall. I have some clouds, and some grass to paint too. I did simplify my plan. I was going to paint a window frame, and then a landscape within the frame. Too. Much. Work! I'm not even an artist! Just goes to show you I am certifiably... ;)

9. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    An hour and a half and nobody has anything to say???? You guys are losing your touch...... ;)

10. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Congrats on the bonus eggs, Bf4! That sure was nice of her to do. I wouldn't bother with that mural in the coop, though, unless it is on the outside of it. In no time your chickens will have painted their own mural on the walls, trust me. LOL! [​IMG]
    I don't think I'd have the willpower to go to Jungs........... [​IMG]

MLH, congrats to DH! [​IMG]
    Jim, red stars are usually past laying age at 2 years old............ They were free for a reason. [​IMG] I wish you the best of luck that I am wrong. Wouldn't be the first time & won't be the last, I'm sure.......... [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hear you on hoping the freeze misses us, Terri! I have pears, peaches, plums & nectarines that I don't want to freeze also. The trees look so nice right now all abloom. [​IMG]

Tiki, you didn't know what to say? Dearie, you need to come to the chicken bash & sit between me, FT & Bf4. We'll cure you of that in no time! [​IMG]

FT, the only comment I have is that I love pumpkins too! I need bigger gardens so I can plant more. I try to plant at least a pie pumpkin every year, but I'd like to plant some snackmasters too since DH loves the seeds. I would love to plant some sorgum too for the birds. Thanks for posting the pumpkin site. [​IMG]

Nice coop, EL!

Jim, so glad Nora is ok.

BBP, so sorry. [​IMG]

Wow, there really aren't many posts today, are there? I'm not arguing at all, seeing it is DHs birthday & he took off work today & tomorrow. Haven't had much time to read! Sweet dreams, all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by