Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
  2. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    Disagreeing on paint colors for the coop. Hubby bought barn red and it's ugly. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it. The store didn't close it properly after mixing it and it dumped all over the ground when he opened his car door and it fell out. Now I get to choose a color. I have no idea what colors to use.
  3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning! Now EL...THAT is the way to get YOUR choice! I saw you riding in the back seat with the baby prying on that can with your fingernails...you cant put one past me! [​IMG]
    I am still chuckling...

WHen we taught our girls how to ride a two wheeler we took them to a parking lot and tipped them this way and that and showed the "mechanics" of turning out of a fall. then we started them on a roll and they took it from there! they were just nearing 5 I think. My son was a different story...he got on the bike and started it at the top of our yard (that slopes downward fast) and rode...he was just 4! I guess he couldnt wait for us...and yes, he was doing jumps and tricks about a week later! Daredevil! I remember when we learned my dad never put the training wheels on so that they both touched the ground...the bike was always "tippy." When we could ride without the training wheels then we got to bring the bike home from Grandma and Grandpa's house. One funny thing...the bike I learned on stayed in our garage for many years and had a few makeovers...sissy bars and high handlebars (remember?) Then when I was a teenager I took that bike to my Grandmas and taught HER to ride it! She was 72! Talk about being proud of yourself!

Be happy that chick was already dead when it got dropped...it is now a pretty sight to see one still wriggling on the floor with no shell....been there done that! (dont wanna do it again!)

Gotta go and cook---then a new client...long day. Have a good one! Terri O
  4. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Morning All!
    Cute coop EL! I'm of no help in the color area....I'd paint it barn red but the pretty barn red! LOL!! How about Yellow and White? Nice and cheerful? Not Barn Red?

Well, shoot was going to say more but can't remember a thing except that Carol is getting more eggs from some one! Good luck with that Carol!!

Well, not much here is going on. I went to Home Depot the other day and "rescued" some tomato plants from the frost. They never cover their plants so anything that was left out will keel over and then they will just toss them out. I could not let that happen to innocent tomato plants so I got 4. Two types of cherries (Sweet and Chocolate) and two types of Heirlooms. A yellow beef stake type and a Black Krim I think. I know it's a Black something or other and I have to look at the yellow one for it's name. I have them in the bathroom, waiting out the frost.....they seems happy....and at least they are safe from marauding critters, like say the cats....more specifically the Barbarian.
    I was going to get some peppers to but they just had the hot types mostly and well, I dislike most peppers so they did not get saved....

Well, that's about it. I've got chores to do so I best be off.
  5. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    kristip, he is 5 1/2. One of his cousins the same age was riding her bike with no trainers last summer already, and the daughter of a friend started before she was 4! Some parents told me their kids didn't figure it out until 6 or 7, it really depends on the child I guess. Ethan was wishy washy for a few days, wanting the trainers off then back on when he fell. Once he discovered how to do stick his foot out and not crash he got a lot braver.
  6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    I got some spray paint to try out for my mini coop. I got terra cotta, olive green, and espresso. I saw a picture of these three colors on a coop and just loved them. Now I have to figure out what color for the trim, what color for the door, and what color for the main part. The picture had an olive coop and a terra cotta door but I want to switch those two colors around. And do the espresso for the trim.

Yah TO teaching your gramma to ride. [​IMG]

I had the tipsy wheels too that didnt quite touch the ground. My family told me it was time to ride with out training wheels and I had to do it. One push from dad and I was off. I think I was going on 6 and all the neighbors had already learned to ride years before. lol
  7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    good morning, all this talk about your kids riding bikes, or not.. makes us old guys feel left out, so here is my story.. My youngest DD#2 has no training wheels on her Harley.. There, now I feel better..

I don't see any activity in the hatcher.. I am going to be sooo unhappy if all these chicken eggs are not fertile.. I fed those chickens all winter just for the opportunity to hatch these eggs..

Just for the record.. I do not like the new post notice that byc went to.. you can click on the "Cheesehead" but it takes you to the last page,, not to the last post you read like before.. why don't people just leave things that work, alone ??

CC, the reason these chickens were free is because the lady likes me.. (See? somebody does)) most of them are just second season layers.. she has too many chickens for her set-up and some other hens just hatched out 2 dozen babies.. these hens didn't miss a beat .. Over 3/4 of them layed eggs the next day after I brought them home.. She said that she didn't think all of them were laying.. If I had the time, I could figure out who is and who is not.. but that would take two pens, and I am fresh out of extra pens..

OK Otonoh (Dave) is due here any minute .. and I still didn't comb my hair..

later... ............jiminwisc
  8. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Do you have any hair to comb? [​IMG]

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008

EarthLady that coop is beautiful!!!!!

So glad there are a lot of new posts to read.

$47 manicure WOW!!!
  10. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    So anybody want to hatch me some guineas? I only want a few.. 2-3...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by