Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI

BBP- you will really REALLY need to get some sort of buddy for the horse, or you will end up being his buddy.
    A goat is a good idea as a buddy.

And JMHO...a 6 yr old horse that is well broke... um.. either they are lying (unless you seriously KNOW them and the horse) OR they started the horse very young, like at 18 months to 2 yrs old.. and if that's the case you might be looking at a horse that could get navicular, WILL get arthritis at a younger age and probably a few other issues that crop up when a horse is started too young.
    IF you decide to look at this horse OR any horse, take a trainer (you may have to pay for their time), or a VERY knowledgeable horse friend.
    Have the owner ride the horse first, then your friend OR trainer, then you.
    Also look for "red flags", like the horse is immaculately groomed, standing in a stall... OR groomed and tied waiting for you...
    The horse seems asleep or mopey/dopey (could be drugged).
    The owner won't ride the horse first and doesn't have some one there to show you what the horse knows...
    Ask to see how well the horse reacts to jackets or tarps flapping...loud sounds and stuff the horse should be well broke enough to handle.
    If the owner won't let your trainer/very knowledgeable horse person ride the horse to test it out...
    If the horse is not up to date on shots, farrier work and doesn't have a coggins...
    AND if they won't let you have a vet NOT THEIR'S do a vet check.
    Paying to have a vet check can save you heart ache in the long run. If the horse is immaculately groomed and standing there. Ask for them to put the horse out in its pasture or paddock and let it hang out for a few minutes, then ask them to get the horse, groom it, and then ask for it to be walked then trotted towards you and away, and then lunged. If they refuse, walk away.
    Saves on that whole heart ache thing later.
    I am sure you know this, I just feel the urge to warn people about things. I have had a few friends who have made those mistakes and I have had to help fix the problem. OR help sell the horse they got because it was too much horse for them, OR wasn't represented honestly.
    Sadly this has happened to a few people I know. And it's how I broke my shoulder ball joint.

Later's all!
    Happy Holiday

2. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    CC- If you want to trade some EE chicks for Lav Orps, let me know!

3. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    BBP.... Let me show you pictures of my new baby goats... THEN decide... :D :D :D :D

4. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    If I get goats I'm getting 2 alpine or 1 toggenburg and 1 alpine. I think I'll get a whether and doe.

As for the horses, there are 2 of them. He doesn't want them separated. He really needs to look at the papers and see how old they are. I'm not sure I want horses though, so I'll probably pass anyway. I do have a trainer willing to come look at them with me. I really want a mule if I get an animal that big.

5. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI

Hey BBP... Where are you located again? Are you thinking of milking the goat? Just curious.

6. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I probably wont milk. I tried to lease a buck for my Toggenburg doe a couple of years ago and it didn't work out. And I really dont want to own a buck.

7. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    They are ttttttooooooooooo stinky! I figure I'll take my does some place when it's time for freshening.

8. unkadan

unkadan Chillin' With My Peeps

Happy Easter

frost again this morning but a clear sky suggests another nice day,,,windy and dry,,,new warning on my weather site "Red Warning" guess it means fire danger is high,,,unlike the red warnings of my youth,,,heh heh

Had my first pullet cull yesterday, she had issues for a few weeks, pasty butt is the term used, also first to have lice clusters, yesterday prolapsed. I tried the suggested remedy to no avail, not needing a long term nursing job (busiest time of the year for me) I did what I deemed necessary. No regrets but loosing a good layer (BSL) was not a good thing. Right now all of my eggs are sold and this is b4 my seasonal customers arrive. I need to find some laying pullets asap.

All the chicks are doing fine, looks like I lucked out on the 18 Marans, to me it appears I have 5 roosters, the combs come fast on these birds and it's pretty obvious.

ok,,,,time to make a big ham, onion, cheese omelet,,,maybe some homemade hash browns on the side,,

bbl

9. JSW99

JSW99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Hello fellow Wisconsinite! Greetings from Jefferson, WI. I'm Jakob and I'm a "newbie" here. Although I don't have chickens yet, I will get eight Barred Plymouth Rocks in May.

10. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Happy Easter JSW....

WELCOME!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by