Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

me, back again,,  some of you are jumping the gun with heat supplement..  hold off with the heat and let the chickens develop their winter plumage..  

they don't need extra heat until the temps get down to about 1F..  and then not really needed if their feathers are thick and they are kept dry..

In an insulated coop, you might not want to put any heat,  make sure you have ventilation so that moisture doesn't build up..  the condensation is what freezes their combs..

If you are keeping hens for eggs, then a little heat is OK.. the heat will offset the extra feed you would normally need..  

there are plug-in thermostats that turn the heat on when the air temp in the coop is 35F  .. this keeps the water from freezing..   

I went to maynard's and bought an electric heater.. It was about $20.oo.. More than those heat lamps, true, but it will outlast dozens of those $6 lamps..  and the heater has a fan on it to get the heat circulated..

I keep a light on 24/7 in my coops.. mainly so that the chickens go in at night..  Ask Kim , I don't seem to have any neurotic chickens here..

Just saying..  you can do what you want..  as I know you will..

,,,,,,,,jiminwiscoffthesoapboxnow...........

No neurotic chickens or critters at Jim's, all are healthy as can be all loose together, Wish I could do the same with mine, but my poor girls are still afraid to come out of the coop into the run, a few have ventured out and my little Ashley the Del pullet I got from Jim won't go back in at night, over zealous hens and little EE roo.....scare her so each night I have to go get her and put her on the roost..
I'm hoping they get the hang of it soon I want to let them out to clean up the garden, and if they are afraid of the run what are they gonna do with the entire yard and garden.......... silly pullets, my hens tell me everyday LET ME OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!` BOC BOCKING AT ME soon as I get to the gate.........
Jim is exactly right about the heat, mine have no heat at all no light even, they roost at dusk and get up with the sun just fine, and half my girls were bald half the winter thanks to my feather picker. no frosty combs on my boys either. Most important is the humidity, if the air is dry and cold they can handle below zero weather, 1 gal on here has chickens in Alaska no heat.......... just the water tank is heated. Let them get the winter fluff, then if ya absolutely have to give them heat make it on a thermostat so it only comes on at 35............ My neighbor has had her chickens and birds over 20 years they don't even get heated water, just the pole shed, and out here when there's a wind chill its 25 to 50 below, or more, the wind is always crazy out here.......... she does have 1 rooster that got locked out 1 night a few years back lost half his comb, but seems none the worse for wear........her turkey ducks are in outside pens, that I have shoveled them outa the snow already, and they seem fine..... all but 1 that lost a toe to frost bite... as long as they have some sort of house /cover.. out of the direct wind.... and more than 1 animal to produce some body heat......... good to go..... Theres a thread here do a search on the cold and chickens, they can handle more than most people think, though silkies need heat there fluff is not insulating, so I would think those with frizzles, and such that might also apply......... if I see my chickens shivering I'll turn the heat lamps on............ but so far haven't needed them, I felt bad for them last winter had a spell 25 below I turned em on and all I did was waste energy, none of them even went near those lamps so 2/ 100 watts bulbs burning for nothing.........save yourselves the money it ain't cheap running them lamps .......every spring just the baby lamps run my bill up 25 bucks a montgh and the waters add extra already....... especially the horses water tank........ about 50 bucks a month........... so just saying do what ya need too but don't go crazy..... worrying about them freezing...........Kim.

Thought I'd let you all know about this......
http://racine.craigslist.org/grd/3297573267.html

call ducks, tolouse and chinease geese and chickens

Date: 2012-09-26, 10:39AM EDT
[email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

we are looking to get rid of some of our poultry for the winter. we are selling several chickens, call ducks and geese. serious inquires only. if intrested please contact john at 262-492-3827 for prices. no emails please.

If you want any and are going to the mini bash I could pick them up and bring them.

http://racine.craigslist.org/grd/3297573267.html

call ducks, tolouse and chinease geese and chickens

Date: 2012-09-26, 10:39AM EDT
[email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

we are looking to get rid of some of our poultry for the winter. we are selling several chickens, call ducks and geese. serious inquires only. if intrested please contact john at 262-492-3827 for prices. no emails please.

If anyone wants any and is going to the mini bash I can pick them up and bring them.

good early afternoon, I just came in to search the web for initial timing info.. I found what I was looking for, I think.. It is just about what I thought I needed to do..

Now all I have to do is read the manual and find out what timing mark to use.. IF it is in there..

Annie found a guinea on a nest in the thick weeds in the squash patch.. we are going to leave her alone, but will keep a watch over her..

lots of buttercup squash coming out of that patch.. If you are in the hood, stop in and get a couple..

break is over..
bbl.......jiminwisc........

Afternoon all!!!

ADDITIONAL BREEDS ADDED TO THE POSTER!!! CAN ANYONE HELP??!?!?!!?
So, DH came home and told me that "They" need some additional breeds for the breed poster! So, we need pictures of hens (and roosters if possible) of these breeds.
White Leg Horn
Hamburg (I think they mean Spangled but I won't be picky because honestly I've only seen like 10 in my life and I think they only come in one "flavor"!!)
Light Brahama. (Angie has that breed but not sure if she has just hens or roosters and hens-so I will leave this in the list just in case!)

So, if anyone can help out, the drill is the same. White background and a good resolution shot. You will need to sign a release and you get some free feed out of the deal! Also those with birds that are on the poster, We will make sure you get a copy of it!

If you have any questions please PM me! Thanks!!!

10 pages behind again!
he.gif

Does anyone here have any Seabrights, by any chance?

Also, TerriO, were you still interested in a lav orp roo?

Evening All... Thanks bl4...jennie will be suprised for sure! I'll run to Wega when it's ready with cash in hand for you...LOL!

Nice suprise when my friend from Illinois stopped today.....really nice visit and I guess I'll be giving the coop a new coat tomorrow instead of today. Work always seems to escape me somehow. Dang.

Glad the butcher help showed up for you Cind. Next time they come, you'll have experienced help!
It really is more of an art than anything...just sayin.

Windows are all open in the coops here too. Needs to stay colder during the day before I shut them up.

Yep, the 40 year olds have bark like trees Doc.....
lol.png

bigz

MLH...wish I could help. I have a dozen different breeds, but can't help you... Ugh.
So when is heather back from her trip?

Not much new here...babies are cute and getting bigger....

When I worm the birds...will I see a difference in their poop? Hoping this helps my lack of laying problem...otherwise the birds re ****** I got of their silkie roo who was mean to the kids...the current roo is a four month old d'uccle that is super shy.

Just popping in to catch up....and now I am hitting the hay. Crazy scary day at work and I need to sleep. I am glad I am not in jail!

No thank you CC on the roo...I have nothing to breed him to. (surprising that I dont have one of each of the breeds by now)
MLH--any chance to get a copy of the poster even if you dont contribute? I think it would make a dandy wall deco!

OK--nighties! I am looking forward to seeing many of you at the fall bash!
Terri O

Back
Top Bottom