Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Getting real tired of broody hens! Have had 3 broody crabby butts (orp and two banty cochins) who have say for 3 months taking up 3 out of 4 nestboxes. I added 2 more boxes a few weeks ago and today two more decided to hog up the boxes and become broody! Another orp and my faverolle. Tried taking the new orp out and the thing became VICIOUS! I seriously have bruises and bite marks on my arms. I really don't feel like setting up another cage in coop to break the broodiness but something has to give....of the 21 laying hens I have 5 now broody.

Last edited:
Getting real tired of broody hens! Have had 3 broody crabby butts (orp and two banty cochins) who have say for 3 months taking up 3 out of 4 nestboxes. I added 2 more boxes a few weeks ago and today two more decided to hog up the boxes and become broody! Another orp and my faverolle. Tried taking the new orp out and the thing became VICIOUS! I seriously have bruises and bite marks on my arms. I really don't feel like setting up another cage in coop to break the broodiness but something has to give....of the 21 laying hens I have 5 now broody.

Sheesh--If you have broody hens set some eggs! I have so many eggs here that I want to hatch and none of my hens want to go broody! They must have heard that I have 2 bators in the house right now...
Turkeys, in their new digs:

Quail, now with more room cause the turkeys are out!

See those tiny ones on the right? those are the Bobs...so very little!

Waiting for a few broodies to come out with their families...I dont seem to have so many chickens running about as of late. I think they are all on eggs "somewhere!" Probably will appear when Carol is watching my stuff during Chicken stock.

I have to go and lock up too. JJ I hear there are golf ball sized hail heading your way! Stay safe. You too CInd, CC, Deli and CS...all down that way....there was a big storm that blew in here about 3 but it spit a little rain and was gon to all blue sky within the hour--weird.

Have a good night--TerriO

good eve, nice going for DDD Doc,, My daughter just passed her last test for a bachelor's degree last week.. she also passed her finals and now is a registered nurse.. No job yet.. she went to Texas for a week to visit her son.. has a job interview when she gets back home..

I did a bit on the greenhouse.. too hot and humid to work at it too hard.. got some holes drilled and made 3 sets of posts and two rails..

the post digger worked very well.. It really is a two man jobber, but I was the only one is sight..sooo....

puppy stole the cushion off of my lawn chair and dragged it down to the tree line where he likes to lay.. smart dog..

Annie can go in by the rooster and turkey without them attacking her.. so now she collects the eggs and I can do something else..

the chicks are 19 days old already.. doesn't look like too many roosters in the bunch, so far..

I sold 3 of them an Friday..

I have about 2 dozen eggs to set..

Dora is not feeling well.. tomorrow she is going to the vet .. Annie thinks Dora has an infection.
I think she is just overfed and lazy.. ( Dora,, not Annie..)

.........jim........

Working, working, working. It seems it never looks much difference after it has chicken poop all over it. Blends right in. I am moving birds and getting ready for chicken stock. The new brick coop is on stall. DH is not much in a mood. He did cut the floor for the new donation. I am pretty sure I can build it if he does not.

I am bringing Blue Laced Red Wyandottes(3 months).
EE and Ameracuana chicks(Smith)BBS(2 weeks).
I am bringing English White Mottle Orpingtons/ to Cuckoo(F2)(2 months).
I am bringing BBS Orpington chicks,(due in 4 days and due day before we leave)
Cherry Egger pullets, White Rock mix pullets.
Muscovy ducklings
Plants
Cages
Pigeon stuff

good eve, nice going for DDD Doc,, My daughter just passed her last test for a bachelor's degree last week.. she also passed her finals and now is a registered nurse.. No job yet.. she went to Texas for a week to visit her son.. has a job interview when she gets back home..

I did a bit on the greenhouse.. too hot and humid to work at it too hard.. got some holes drilled and made 3 sets of posts and two rails..

the post digger worked very well.. It really is a two man jobber, but I was the only one is sight..sooo....

puppy stole the cushion off of my lawn chair and dragged it down to the tree line where he likes to lay.. smart dog..

Annie can go in by the rooster and turkey without them attacking her.. so now she collects the eggs and I can do something else..

the chicks are 19 days old already.. doesn't look like too many roosters in the bunch, so far..

I sold 3 of them an Friday..

I have about 2 dozen eggs to set..

Dora is not feeling well.. tomorrow she is going to the vet .. Annie thinks Dora has an infection.
I think she is just overfed and lazy.. ( Dora,, not Annie..)

.........jim........
funny

Nice pictures..

I have a few that do not fool around when broody. You need long sleeves and oven mitts. I give them eggs. I have one right now on 8 Muscovy eggs. Will keep her out of trouble for a month. I just stuck a cat carrier on the floor since she decided to take the favorite egg drop zone. I have a few boxes that can be moved too. If you don't use them as broody's or want broody's, Cochins and Orps are probably not a good choice. They go broody if the wind changes directions. I have a broody Orp. I am praying the other one does not. I use them but I am done hatching.

Hi again--just candled Turkey eggs and the Buckeye eggs...the turkeys mostly look good. The bucks about half to 3/4 good.
Terri O, that reminds me, are you going to be able to bring bobwhite eggs to the bash for me?
Yes I can bring eggs. How many do you want?
I know, get those faverolles eggs ordered and put them under your hens. I will take any unwanted roosters. They can come to my retirement home for excess roosters. Camp Maytag.
Funny!
Nighties! TerriO

hah! thats just it..if i hatch eggs they wil be75% roos! and then they need to either stay with me or go to a loving home. the more i try considering meat birds...the more i feel sick eati.g chicken at all it sux! i know they were created for food but my mind and heart wont listen to the brain.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom