Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

LOL well I only had two kids and I have problems just wait till you are my age. After giving birth there is are no more "private parts" and the heck with Kigels, didn't do a bit of good.

Good news is Toby is not a pirate dog yet... the eyeball did not rupture, still curious what the :H: happened... could an animal have lashed out and caught him on the eye. thinking we have something lurking under the storehouse? Must have 7 stitches along the side of side of the head to the eyelid. Forgot to ask the vet how many... Nice clean laceration, like a knife no rough edges. Too much bleeding so cant say for sure if he will have sight in that eye, but i had to set up a spread sheet to track his medicine schedule... geesh. Finally got him to eat something, scrambled eggs by hand... 

Oh my gosh, that's bad news guys. I can't even jump on a tampoline anymore. Not looking forward to it getting worse! C-sections don't sound so terrible at this point.

Hey all. Busy busy weekend for sure! The marans were still hatching today. So looks like we will be making the trip again Wednesday. I read up. And there is so much to comment on!
Momg, good news about pup :)
Good luck on the hatches.
Welcome to the new newbee.
Zeeeeek, sis still has the meatie trio. They are housed with hatchery Australorp. I am sure we could work something out.
Jim, good idea on Bo. Hope the beat down when you won wasn't too bad ;)
Terri? Hope they work well for you!

Hi All... Stopping in early tonight.

Bigfam..... Yep, I know how that goes, I had 5 kids too. I also have some scare tissue "there" and am in the "older group".... Want my pad recommendations? LOL

Bl4.... Nice grinders! Your lucky you have a nice set of plates with them, I don't think you'll need any more. I wish I could find a few more plates for mine.

Jim... make sure you pick out some nice "hip" frames befitting your wild lifestyle!

Fernie.... That sewing machine wouldn't happen to have been a White or White Westinghouse brand would it? Did it have a swivel pressure foot?

justa... good luck!

Beanz... congrats on the hatch!

momg... Glad Toby will be OK!

TO... Yep, the Toms have been fighting, some days worse than others. The young tom (for sale BTW) has been trying to stay out of range of them.

I'll BBL to say goodnight.

Fernie, that is the make and model number. What you see in the pic is what you get, I can find no other markings on the main piece or the handle.

I love looking up the history of these things; I think this one might best me though. I will have to comb through antique stores and resale shops I guess to find the ring to attach the sausage stuffer and maybe be lucky enough to find a manual.
I think I will see what I can find from the pictures. I was sort of hoping that there was info not seen in the pictures.

Hi all and welcome to the new folks! Link to the bash is in my siggy...then we can meet you!

1876--I participated in the sweet potato project last summer and didnt end up with much fit to eat...can you tell me your methods please? Either PM or maybe some others have interest? We didnt get out slips last year until nearly the middle of June because of the weather! I dont think they had enough time. Please help--I LOVE sweet potatoes!

I know I had something else to say...CRS strikes again *sigh*

Quite a sink full! TerriO

TerriO,

Sweet potatoes need warm weather... but last summer it was not warm enough. Mine did terrible last year, but I had a lot of problems getting started. Almost killed all the slips that I got through the mail and then didn't water them enough so they struggled just to stay alive.

I didn't know you could create the slips at home, but after I found out (mid July) I did an experiment and the slips came out great!! - I planted them, but it was too late for them to produce anything.

If you go to my blog: http://www.wanderingcreekacres.blogspot.com/ you can see my planting method and then how I made the slips in July.

I'm looking forward to watching my slips grow this year!

Evening
frow.gif
, busy weekend here for us. Just sitting down to eat as we worked a little long tonight.

DD, DS(12) and myself finished hunter safety this afternoon- had the written test and field test and then got to shot 5 clays each. DS(12) shot 3 out of 5 clays and this was his first time trap shooting. DD was one of 15 that aced the written test! There was about 33 people that took the class this weekend.

DH and DS(8) hung out all weekend and worked on setting up a few new pens so that we have room for the chickens and turkeys to grow out- we finished them up this evening. We had to move oldest group of chicks into 1 of the new pens so we could take a part the kennel panels to finish off the new pens. DD had to keep the chicks in the pen! Have some more to do tomorrow but then DH should get a good sized area of the shop back....maybe
lau.gif

So far we have collected 22 gallons of sap, DH started boiling it down yesterday and we now have all the sap into 1 big kettle so we can finish and put it into jars. Probably finish it tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if this first batch is light or dark.

Our French Angora doe is doing a very good job so far taking care of her babies...the kids are planning to show some as part of their 4-H projects. DD combed out our French Angora buck-Jack Frost this afternoon so he looks presentable for tomorrow....DS(8) is star of the week at school so I am going to eat lunch with him(DH is coming as well but DS(8) doesn't know this
wink.png
) and taking Jack Frost along to visit with the kids.

Have a good one!

Dang, I'm jealous about your sap flowing... ours just isn't yet. Perhaps it's the size of the trees or the fact our ground is still frozen solid. Not sure which one.. Our trees are somewhere near 130 years old. Perhaps they are still frozen in the middle?

I looked at the sweet potato instructions..
could you use the sweet potatoes from the super market,? Or are they sprayed to keep them from sprouting ?

I never tried growing them, but it looks like something I would like to try..

I don't want to do the tower planting, though.. Then do I plant them and hill them just like white potatoes ?

Sap runs up the outer part of the tree, just under the bark.. I doubt that the tree is frozen either.
Patience, Grasshopper..

I got the ad for the puppies into all the small towns papers around Sun Prairie ..
phone number and email address included.. watch for it..

I let Bo loose for awhile this afternoon.. just as I was grabbing his collar to hook him up to his chain, Puppy decided to attack.. Bo broke loose from me, and now I can't get close to him.. I prolly will get a call from the cardiac nurse tomorrow telling me that the monitor is reading a very high heart rate ... no sh1t !!?? I wonder why ??

I am just about done with that guy who wanted more pictures of the pups.. at least he could acknowledge that he received them.. ask hole ..( compliments of CC ) ..

Annie went in at 9 AM for a 24 hour shift.. her @ss will be dragging tomorrow..

..........jiminwisc.........

I looked at the sweet potato instructions..
could you use the sweet potatoes from the super market,? Or are they sprayed to keep them from sprouting ?

I never tried growing them, but it looks like something I would like to try..

I don't want to do the tower planting, though.. Then do I plant them and hill them just like white potatoes ?

Sap runs up the outer part of the tree, just under the bark.. I doubt that the tree is frozen either.
Patience, Grasshopper..

I got the ad for the puppies into all the small towns papers around Sun Prairie ..
phone number and email address included.. watch for it..

I let Bo loose for awhile this afternoon.. just as I was grabbing his collar to hook him up to his chain, Puppy decided to attack.. Bo broke loose from me, and now I can't get close to him.. I prolly will get a call from the cardiac nurse tomorrow telling me that the monitor is reading a very high heart rate ... no sh1t !!?? I wonder why ??

I am just about done with that guy who wanted more pictures of the pups.. at least he could acknowledge that he received them.. ask hole ..( compliments of CC ) ..

Annie went in at 9 AM for a 24 hour shift.. her @ss will be dragging tomorrow..

..........jiminwisc.........

I just used the ones from the super market... just pick out ones that aren't damaged (no nicks and the like). I had my daughter pick up the one I used last year, it had a slice off the end and by the end it had started to rot. I still got 3 slips from it though.

I am not a patient person, I was just brain storming on what could possibly cause the sap not to run, I don't want to admit the weather just hasn't yet cooperated.

I personally have only grown sweet potatoes last year, and the tower planting didn't work that great... it was always drying out. I saw where someone did raised beds.. it's important that the soil is very loose, they don't like it hard packed/clay. That's the extent of my knowledge.

I am so glad I don't have a job that I have to work a 24 hour shift, I would probably pass out on my feet. 10pm is almost too late for me, can't even watch a movie with the fam at night without falling asleep.

Back
Top Bottom