Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Ended up trying to give an Eggbound hen a warm salt bath for about a half hour but she was too far gone and stressed. I put her in her own pen and gave her water with electrolytes and calcium on her food but just went outside to find her fave down on the floor. She was my favorite. The prettiest Olive egger ever. Guess that all comes with having the girls. Just got done burying her under the oak tree. Now some coffee and relaxing time I guess

Ended up trying to give an Eggbound hen a warm salt bath for about a half hour but she was too far gone and stressed. I put her in her own pen and gave her water with electrolytes and calcium on her food but just went outside to find her fave down on the floor. She was my favorite. The prettiest Olive egger ever. Guess that all comes with having the girls. Just got done burying her under the oak tree. Now some coffee and relaxing time I guess
sad.png
Aw. I'm so sorry!

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. :( how old was she?

Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to hear....
Side note, apparently a brown thrasher has taken up residence in our trees. That is a chatty bird.

Last edited:

So very sorry. Always hard when one gets under our skin.

good morning, had another good soaking last night.

yesterday my seed corn arrived. I was all cleaned up and had my good clothes on to go to town. I was going to change into my grubbies, but Annie said I didn't have time.

so , now that it rained, I will have to wait for the ground to dry out before I can run the seeder through the garden.

I have to locate a ball of cord so that I can plant my tomatoes. they have been outside day and night since I bought them, I guess they are hardened enough.

I am going to start letting the pullet chicks wander outside a little bit. I start out for the first time late in the afternoon. that way they stay close to the coop door and then go in when it gets dark. later on they wander farther and farther, but by then they know the way home.

........jiminwisc..........

Replanted the radish row. First ones were very mild and tender from what I hear. I don't eat them, just grow them for the rest of the family. Looks like I will have to start picking the strawberries today. Getting lots of red ones around the edges. Now comes the fight between freezing enough for my daughter to snack on all winter and letting her eat her fill. Plus I need to make jam. I have most of the hand weeding of the rows done in the garden and the winter onions are setting their babies for the year. I just love this time of year. If you can't find me, check the gardens.

So sorry for your chickie loss...never easy!

So I have two broodies... And I dont have time for them to hatch anything now so going to do my best to break them of brood. I have a wire bottom cage but the bad part is it is in my garage and attached to the wall so hard to clean out and with stinky broody poops..not looking forward to that. But what do you do.
The 12 week olds seem to be doing well with all the big birds...I think I timed it right when i got rid of three full grown birds and added them... of course this was the same time my broodies started so my eggs coming inside dropped way down. Hope I have a broody later in summer as I would like to see the fertility of the OEGB eggs...he sure spends time with his little girls (and the big ones too which makes me laugh).

otherwise one more week of school for the kids. wrapping up soccer, first baseball game tomorrow, first softball game is next weekend with a tournament to start out the season. And getting ready to go out west for a little while. should be fun. Lining up all the pet sitters as we speak!

Hope the garden survives while we are gone. Hoping the neighbors will add a little water now and again!

Back
Top Bottom