Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi all---BL4 you must have had the same idea as me!

On that Polish (I dont raise them so just a guess) I was thinking male because of the length of the tail already. Are there any neck feathers lengthening that are pointy? Or saddle feathers? That is how I tell early on mine.

Bigz--hoping on better than that here for the hatch! just went into lockdown yesterday and we will know by Monday or Tuesday how things went. kept them out a bit longer than I wanted to but I was waiting for a complete tray...hate to run that big bator with only a couple dozen eggs! LOL.

CS--what's up with Cookie now? I have seen conflicting stuff!

Have a good one! TerriO--potatoes weeded AND hilled yesterday!

Hello all! Sorry for going MIA for so long- I had a baby! He is 5 months old today, growing like a weed.

We had a broody on eggs. Yesterday was day 21, and she killed the first two that tried to hatch. So we took the rest of the eggs from her and made a makeshift incubator in our mudroom. We have managed to keep the temp at 90-95, and humidity between 60-70%. They wound up shrink wrapped, so have been helping them out. We currently have 2 out and pretty well dried, 2 partially hatched, and 1 peeping but not pipped.

The hen doesn't even care that she doesn't have her eggs anymore. Clearly she was done with this project before the project was done.

Attached are some photos for your enjoyment!

Last edited:
Home from berry picking; they were not that great, I filled four flats in an hour. There were a lot of rotten berries that would poison the good ones.

Now time to choke down some lunch, then off to see a man about a goose.
big_smile.png

I might go pick a small flat of berries for fresh eating tomorrow.

Birds are still on lockdown, and it's a good thing....just now had a yote jumping against the pen door. When the alarms sounded I ran out without the gun...stupid me....he will be back....makes me think it was a yote that grabbed the last one and not a fox.....when they get in the shade of the woods one could misidentify for sure. Why didn't I grab the gun first? Stupid is as stupid does!

bigz

I am sure that picture put a lot of minds to rest about you getting a goose..

I had a post all typed up and ready to send when we lost the internet connection again. i lost the post , too..

I was telling you about something we found in the
Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening by Rodale Press..

I did not want to poison the potato bugs because I was afraid that the guineas and chickens might eat them.

this is what we found.
Wheat Bran.. sprinkle it on the potatoes when the leaves are wet with dew.

so I went and bought a 50# bag for $10.8o,
this morning about 6 AM I was in the garden sprinkling the dust onto the potatoes..

the bugs are supposed to eat the powder and swell up like wood ticks and die..

I will let you know how this works.

Yesterday, Annie picked 400 bugs off of the potatoes.

the plants for the most part are healthy looking and growing very nicely.. they should be blossoming soon..

..........jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom