Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

good morning,

waiting for it to get light outside. I want to work up on the roof on the upper part of the chimney chase.
I bowl at 1PM but I should get something done before that.
and again afterwards..

BIL is dropping off a heavy duty ladder today, if he doesn't forget .. all I have left is a light duty aluminum ladder. too shaky when it is fully extended ..

I don't expect the hen to come back.. maybe she flew into the yard over the fence, though..

we got a record 7 eggs yesterday.. maybe those new POL's are starting .. the eggs are medium sized.

I have a few dozen Sagita chicks growing up.. they came from some jumbo sized eggs I hatched. I can't wait until they start laying.. probably won't be until next spring, though.. It looks like there are a generous amount of roosters in the bunch.. they will be butchered before thanksgiving .
They are a friendly bunch. I can pick them up easily and they don't put up a fuss..

......jiminwisc.........

Well I didn't finish everything I planned for the weekend, but I put a dent in it.

Dug the last of the potatoes. Disappointing harvest, as with everything else this first year of gardening on this recessional morraine. (Yes, I live on a glacier turd.)

This morning gotta drop off the car to get a new muffler. JUST what I wanted to spend my money on.

I have potatoes to dig, also. will be needing help with that.

cars have a 6th sense about when you think you might have a little extra cash on hand..
My Silverado needs some brake work.. has a slowish leak somewhere.. I suspect (hope) the master cylinder. brake lines are expensive

don't be too discouraged about your garden yield. it might take awhile, but you can build up your soil.
My new garden is on bedrock. but all you need is a few inches of soil. I plowed and dug as many of the rocks out as I could, and now after a few years, I am not bothered too much with rocks anymore.. and I have a good 8 to 10 inches of clear dirt. when I started, I had lots of rocks all over the surface ...

.......jiminwisc.........

Good morning!
We started digging potatoes Saturday and got about four hills dug when the garden fork handle broke. DH will try to fix it. I will end up with a shorter handle, but it will work better than a shovel for potato digging.
We are located on a ridge with a bedrock base. We moved here six years ago in November and started gardening the following spring. Besides the rock issues, the bugs have been horrible. I hope to set up a perimeter of chicken patrollers next spring.

Good morning!
We started digging potatoes Saturday and got about four hills dug when the garden fork handle broke. DH will try to fix it. I will end up with a shorter handle, but it will work better than a shovel for potato digging.
We are located on a ridge with a bedrock base. We moved here six years ago in November and started gardening the following spring. Besides the rock issues, the bugs have been horrible. I hope to set up a perimeter of chicken patrollers next spring.

if you can, get some guineas..
DE is a good bug dust, too..
we used it on our potatoes for the first time this year.
very effective ..

manure and compost, manure and compost..
try raising your beds or hilling.. that will double the effective dirt.
you don't need good dirt between the rows..

........jiminwisc...........

I'd loved to have raised garden beds! I use DE quite often, especially on the brassicas. With all the rain we had this fall, I couldn't keep up with getting it applied. I even have to use it on the sprouting green bean plants until they get several sets of leaves. We actually had a very productive garden this year. I'm hoping for an even better yield next summer. :)

CherMoz and others...would love to hear what you do with the berries...so when we moved in over 10 years ago we did little bit each year... in the back we have a fenced in plot that we used for veggies before the 8x4 raised be went in. I put in a few raspberries and blackberries that were gifted to me...not sure what kind but chucked them in...fast forward 10 years and it is a bramble mess... what can I do to organize it. it is about 8x8 space covered in brambles that I cant even get to the berries...any thoughts?

My job this week? Making a Wedding cake!
th.gif
Like I needed to add this project to everything else!

On a sad note, we put the last of the sibling cats down this week. Spice made it to 19; she was doing really well but the CKD finally caught up with her. It was her time but it was still sad...... I miss those cats.

I'll try to get some pics of the cake when it is finished.

good tuesday evening,

I borrowed a 32 ft ladder from my BIL. got most of the really high and hard to reach things done.
the worst thing about ladder work is that I have nobody to hand/throw things up to me. so like a yo-yo I am up and down. that really wears me out.

I can tell that summer is at it's end. not by the turning leaves, not by the flocks of geese flying south,,
my fly swatter is ripped about in two..

Kristy, demolish your berry patch this fall, go through it with a lawn mower.. then next summer make rows by mowing between the rows.

every few years I pick a section of berry patch and smash it all to the ground with the tractor bucket.. then a good mowing .. that section won't yield next year, but the year after it is like new..

...........jiminwisc.........

Hey everybody.

I'm new to the game so I need some input/advice on feed. I'm feeding a "mash" ground feed from my local elevator. It hangs up in my pvc feeder because it packs so tight in the tube. What are you feeding and why? I am assuming that crumbles or pellets would flow much better. Your experienced input is appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Back
Top Bottom