Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

TO I got 2 cracked eggs in the 'bators both have movement! I'm just
fl.gif
for them. IDK what else to do? I heard that you can wax them? dont know if I will, haven't yet? anyone?

yippiechickie.gif
on the first egg BL4
Hurley those are some cuties
love.gif
but I gotta ask about all the containers
gig.gif
I know I know
smack.gif
lol
WICc that's what mine cost me to build but mine holds 3 dz. with the possible of adding a second tier.
gotta go outside now
hit.gif
(we're in need of a smilie freezing) going out with the kids tonight to Funset (kids play place, bumper cars, carosel, token games) DH is still away on work he'll be back Friday. Boy is he gonna faint when he comes home and the house is STILL clean! after a whole week! (yes, I hate cleaning but we've been keeping on top of things this week)
wee.gif

later

good Thursday morning, I am on my first cuppa coffee..

got another turkey egg yesterdy.. this one was a bit larger than the previous ones.. I don't know if it is a hen coming into her own, or a new hen..

I had a guinea land on my head yesterday.. who says they cannot be tamed? the biggest drawback to that was I didn't have a cap on and those toes are sharp !!! LOL

I have to be very careful.. that barred rock hen has taken to landing on my shoulder and riding along as I feed the rest of the chickens and collect the eggs.... If I bend over she walks down my back, when I straighhten back up she climbs back to my shoulder.. I am thinking of naming her.. and you all know, a named bird cannot be butchered or sold... LOL

I transferre 61 eggs to the bator that I am using as a hatcher.. So far I am very pleased with it.. the humidity is steady at 59% and the temp is steady at 99F.. last year I had a lot of trouble with this one.. I guess the new door seal really makes a difference.. Saturday is the due hatch day.. I am expecting some to start on Friday, though.. because the incubating temp was a steady 100F .

I have been keeping track of the water in the sportsman.. at 40% I am using about 2 gallons per week..

Quote:
yes, you can seal a cracked egg with wax.. I have often thought that a quick drying glue would be better, like super glue.. or even silicon caulk..
I do not candle, so I never catch the cracked eggs.. Not until they start to weep and/or stink..
I never had one explode in the bator.. BUT one time I took one out and was about to toss it across the yard when it went off in my hand..LOL
I was just glad it didn't go off in the bator..

RAIMNEL--when I was in HS we opened up a side of an egg without tearing the membrane (I think--this was loooong ago!) and put scotch tape over the hole so we could watch the development. It worked fine! Maybe give tape a try? I opened mine cause I saw NO movement and was expecting to have a stink in the sink...I just about started to cry when I saw that little heart...too late! Congrats on the first egg BL4!
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Wont be long and you will have dozens.
I have to go and post a question on the egg forum about these weird eggs I am getting...long and narrow! Wondering if it is some breed that lays like that or just a chicken with a tight a$$?
gig.gif
Sorry--I couldnt resist! Later! TErri O

(PS) pretty late for that first cuppa Jim!

Well sure is nice out today, despite everything happening in the goverment.
Our third hatch is underway, when I left for work this morning two chicks were zipping, I can't wait to see what is there when I get home. If anyone is interest in getting FBCM chicks let me know.

jim a Q about the stink of super glue or silicon caulk? will it harm the chick? we made sure we didn't use anything stinky in the making of the 'bator cause we wern't sure of this.
hu.gif

another Q, do you have to seal the shell?
TO THAT (window in the shell) would be COOL!
gig.gif
and a chicken with a tight.....
lau.gif

later
ps my cousin is in the hospital having #2
celebrate.gif
#1 is only 14 months
ep.gif
th.gif
to each their own, as I always say.

Last edited:
I am going to have to quit reading about all these hatches. I want more..I ordered 10 chicks and have to stop!!!!! Everytime I read these posts I want more....

Quote:
I wondered about the drying agent also.. It might be toxic to the egg.. like some magic marker inks are.. I don't think it would harm any other eggs as long as it was good and dry before you put it into the bator.. but I would give it a try.. all you would lose is one egg, which would most likely be lost anyhow..

Here is a swap that Is in wisconsin and that i go to every year.

Walworth county Fur and feather swap
Saturday April 23, 2011
Walworth county fairgrounds
highway 11 east, elkhorn WI

Its pretty good has a varitety of different poultry and animals. Not the biggest but pretty good!
Just thought id let everyone know!

Back
Top Bottom