Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I add an extra layer of shavings on the floor for the chickens in this cold weather, then sprinkle some boss on it to keep them busy. I think the activity helps keep their feet warm. They still like to go outside in the sunshine - but this flock only goes out when I have shoveled their run. They don't do snow!
I have two windows in their coop that let sunshine in. They dont leek cold air and i made sure of that. We have tin over part of their run. We are going to get clear tin to go over the rest of it. And they have alot of extra bedding.

I always considered guineas as dispensable.
I let them free range. Why have them if they can't ? they go on the road, predators catch them , and then they find other ways to die.
I had a flock of about 8 and then I bought a flock of 8. They never mixed. gradually some of each flock died until there were six of one and one of the other. the six never included that one with them. It followed them at a distance for two years. finally they were all gone.
Of all the birds I had, I miss my guineas the most. I still don't have ticks or japanese beetles.
We had a little wind, lots of lightning and rain.. I have not had to water with the hose for weeks.
the wind knocked a few apples off of the tree. our resident little doe likes that.
three days ago she brought some helpers along. three spotted fawns. She is hardly much more than a fawn herself.
they all show up at dusk every day where we can watch them from the kitchen window.
So far she has left the raised beds alone.
I pulled 47 garlics. they are curing in the garage.
picked two Brandy Wind tomatoes. Really sweet. One slice covers the bread for my BLT's.
the cherry tomatoes are almost as big as golf balls. getting plenty of those to eat every day.
.......jiminwisc..........
Does anyone know how Jim is doing? Haven't seen him on here in months

Jim is doing fine and all is well by him and Annie!
I prefer straw to shavings during the Winter. Straw is superior in regards to insulation on the floor as well as nest boxes...it's my bedding of choice during the Winter and shavings are used here when freezing temps subside. i'll be happy when the night time temps stay around 20f and above..... then Winter is officially over in my mind.
I did butcher one young roo today....my least favorite chore, but he was getting picked on beyond my standard of tolerance here.
Keep the fire stoked..it ain't over yet!

Stay safe... bigz

Ahhh, weather in the 30s. This WI girl want to dig up the garden! Lol. Searching for 2-3 pullets-young hens to add to my flock this spring. Craigslist is ok, I just don't trust people. The search begins now so I can find one to transition when it is nice out.

I too use straw in the winter, the girls bury down in there and snuggle in.

I won't be hatching this Spring. I had a great hatch last year and have 24 hens in total. That is the ideal amount for me. I will allow any broody hens to sit on a clutch however just for the fun of it, and see what happens. I prefer only using one coop to keep the chores down, but sometimes nature calls for the need to do extra chores, I guess.
Need to get my seed order into sandhill preservation this month. Gardening is on my mind too!

Stay Safe .... bigz

Back
Top Bottom