Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Indoor Pot Bellied Pig anyone $ 25.00 http://northernwi.craigslist.org/pet/3749644444.html

I emailed her about him last month when he was just $50, No I'm not interesed I was just inquiring and told her about our pig chat group.

Anyway this little piggy was the third pig she's rescued since January 2013. She said he was locked in a closet type situation and she literally had to dig him out of his own poop.

Anyone want an indoor already neutered piggy? TO don't you have a friend that has piggys? (pets)

Quiet morning around here hey??? Having a cup then going to go down to babysit the little neighbor boy (1yr old) so his mom can get a few chores done. Then I got a txt asking if I can babysit tonight !!! So inbetween I have to go to laundry mat so I have clean clothes to wear for the spay neuter clinic tomorrow in Antigo. Today I just feel like doing nothing at all.... Oh wait I did that yesterday.... standing all day at the clinic tires me out but it's a good feeling. Oh, I want to ask all of you farmers or even not farmers opinion on this. Our neighbor is going to lease out their hay fields to someone that is going to plant corn or soybeans. They wanted to know if I would want to let him do our 20acre field. So here is the scoop. He would round up all the grass and weeds, give it some lime, I guess fertilze it and them plant soybeans or corn. He would pay us $60 an acre.
He would do this for three years (don't know if he would be liming or fertilzing every year ?)
On the fourth year he would plant whatever I wanted. All I would have to do is pay for half the seed (which I would like hay)

I'm not getting any younger you know, at first we thought that would be a good way to get new hay and our field limed but I've heard that soy and corn really depletes your soil of lime and nutrients and the neighbor said probably wouldn't be any better (the lime part) then when he started. I have all kinds of weeds on my field that the extension said lime would take care of.

We have the fencing materials, but just haven't gotten to it yet but we were going to be fencing in at least half of it so I can save on buying hay 12 months out of the year. It would tie up my potential pasture for at least 4 years.
Wish this guy would have contacted us 6 years ago when I first moved here.

I'm leaning at saying no !

Any suggestions?
don't know anything about whether or not that is a fair price money wise, but corn seriously depletes the soil and if they aren't planning on rotating every year with a legume you could be left with soil definitely worse (and chemically poluted) than when you started. I would also be concerned as to what artificial fertilizers, pre and post emergent herbicides and other toxic "stuff" they plan on spraying and how they plan on controlling the drift. Would mean you would have to be very careful about keeping your critters out of there.

Last edited:
Ft, there are a lot of fields planted in Starks and Rhinelander on similar lease options, I would ask the folks involved in your "Fix is in" if they know of anyone for reference, also ask that neighbor if they got references. That said,,,,the $1200/yr would pay your taxes,,,gives you 4 years to set aside some money for seed and fencing when you convert back to pasture. As far as "toxins" well I'm more organic than most, herbicide will be necessary for the corn grower, any fertilizer he uses will keep from depleting the soil, remember he is spending the time, money, equipment use, etc, HE wants this to work to make the most of his investment. That said, consider getting him to plant a cover crop each fall/winter to keep the soil healthy,,,,,also lime would only be added to bring it up to specs on the initial soil test. I think you might have already had one that you mentioned before. Once it is limed and the pH is corrected it will remain correct for a number of years, esp if you are planning on pasture or a hay field. There is NO toxic drift that would affect you livestock from herbicide. Gardens maybe or other areas planted,,,check that all out with the farmer leasing.

Like I said,,,,check out this particular farmers track record with other fields he has leased. Most of this is being done by farmers from south of us,,,they plant their fields then move north, the time difference is allowing them to double (or more) the amount of corn they produce per season. High dollar crop right now with ethanol demand,,,,

just my 2 cents....

Off to Madison for the rest of the week. Hope the "teenager" takes good care of the "peep peeps" (this is what all the kids have been calling the chicks in the brooder) Boy they sure are an unfriendly, messy and noisy bunch.....KIDS and THE Peep Peeps!

Since Feb. I have been making a "life style change".......not a diet:) lol... I have lost 20lbs am down 2 sizes and about 8% in body fat. Last year my hubby started it out by loosing 50lbs in 10 weeks. he is an over achiever....and i dislike him for it! seemed to be super easy for him...ggrr
anyway, as a family we have cut out almost ALL wheat and grain and we are trying to eliminate ALL processed foods. We eat LOTS of veggies and lean meats. Even the kids seem to feel better, they still complain because they are used to the quick easy meals, but they will live. We still bake treats but with almond flour and coconut flour. We have also decreased the amount of dairy. We use cauliflour to make pizza crust:) It has been a change, that is for sure and reaching for something out of the box is sooooo much easier, but it just seemed to make sense to us and knowing where you food is coming from and what you are putting into your body is always a good idea. Wine and cheese will never be a thing of the past ;-) I LOVE them SO....and dark chocolate!

Dan.......sounds right.......FT........where are you located...........in my area it is $90 to $150 per acre. You find most are at $100/acre this year.

Last edited:
don't know anything about whether or not that is a fair price money wise, but corn seriously depletes the soil and if they aren't planning on rotating every year with a legume you could be left with soil definitely worse (and chemically poluted) than when you started. I would also be concerned as to what artificial fertilizers, pre and post emergent herbicides and other toxic "stuff" they plan on spraying and how they plan on controlling the drift. Would mean you would have to be very careful about keeping your critters out of there.
This. Corn and soybeans are highly sprayed and heavy feeders. Most are GMO's. Commercial crop soils are pretty 'dead', meaning no earthworms or beneficial organisms from all the 'cides'. I'm also the organic, anti-GMO type, so I would decline, but that's me. Dan brings up some good points too. Ask more questions before you decide.

The field behind us has been planted with corn since we moved here, 4 years in a row now. I wonder if they'll switch it up this year. That's a lot of corn back to back to back.

Quiet morning around here hey??? Having a cup then going to go down to babysit the little neighbor boy (1yr old) so his mom can get a few chores done. Then I got a txt asking if I can babysit tonight !!! So inbetween I have to go to laundry mat so I have clean clothes to wear for the spay neuter clinic tomorrow in Antigo. Today I just feel like doing nothing at all.... Oh wait I did that yesterday.... standing all day at the clinic tires me out but it's a good feeling. Oh, I want to ask all of you farmers or even not farmers opinion on this. Our neighbor is going to lease out their hay fields to someone that is going to plant corn or soybeans. They wanted to know if I would want to let him do our 20acre field. So here is the scoop. He would round up all the grass and weeds, give it some lime, I guess fertilze it and them plant soybeans or corn. He would pay us $60 an acre.
He would do this for three years (don't know if he would be liming or fertilzing every year ?)
On the fourth year he would plant whatever I wanted. All I would have to do is pay for half the seed (which I would like hay)

I'm not getting any younger you know, at first we thought that would be a good way to get new hay and our field limed but I've heard that soy and corn really depletes your soil of lime and nutrients and the neighbor said probably wouldn't be any better (the lime part) then when he started. I have all kinds of weeds on my field that the extension said lime would take care of.

We have the fencing materials, but just haven't gotten to it yet but we were going to be fencing in at least half of it so I can save on buying hay 12 months out of the year. It would tie up my potential pasture for at least 4 years.
Wish this guy would have contacted us 6 years ago when I first moved here.

I'm leaning at saying no !

Any suggestions?
Hi FT- well this is what I can tell you for where we live, which is down near the Fox Valley/Green Bay area. We rent land for anywhere from $160- $225 per acre per year. We supply all the fertilizer, round up etc. We have an agronomist who guides us in fertilizing and crop rotation so as not to deplete the nutrients. The proper way is to have the soil tested yearly and then plant and fertilize accordingly. If you lived down here, we would scoop that up in a heartbeat being that the rent is so low. However, I don't know what the going price is up there, or what the land is like. Hope that helps a little
smile.png

Last edited:
Coulee Region Poultry Club Show
Saturday June 1, 2013
Trempealeau County Fairgrounds

It has been designated the State Meet for Wisconsin for 2013 by the APA
There will be youth showmanship
Birds entered by youth will be placed against other youth exhibits, as well as against the adult exhibits.
(will not count as two judging’s for those interested in APA or ABA rankings)
There will also be sell/swap, a silent auction, foodstand and raffle

For more information
For Show Catalog (should be ready soon) write:

Coulee Region Poultry Club
W5171 Baker Rd.
Holmen, WI, 54636
or call:
608-857-3386 (7-9 pm)

[email protected]
http://couleeregionpoultryclub.webs.com/

Ft, there are a lot of fields planted in Starks and Rhinelander on similar lease options, I would ask the folks involved in your "Fix is in" if they know of anyone for reference, also ask that neighbor if they got references. That said,,,,the $1200/yr would pay your taxes,,,gives you 4 years to set aside some money for seed and fencing when you convert back to pasture. As far as "toxins" well I'm more organic than most, herbicide will be necessary for the corn grower, any fertilizer he uses will keep from depleting the soil, remember he is spending the time, money, equipment use, etc, HE wants this to work to make the most of his investment. That said, consider getting him to plant a cover crop each fall/winter to keep the soil healthy,,,,,also lime would only be added to bring it up to specs on the initial soil test. I think you might have already had one that you mentioned before. Once it is limed and the pH is corrected it will remain correct for a number of years, esp if you are planning on pasture or a hay field. There is NO toxic drift that would affect you livestock from herbicide. Gardens maybe or other areas planted,,,check that all out with the farmer leasing.

Like I said,,,,check out this particular farmers track record with other fields he has leased. Most of this is being done by farmers from south of us,,,they plant their fields then move north, the time difference is allowing them to double (or more) the amount of corn they produce per season. High dollar crop right now with ethanol demand,,,,

just my 2 cents....
sorry, I stand corrected, I meant drift from pesticides spraying. Not sure what all they spray on corn, and my gardens are completely organic, however, we live close to a large potato field and at least once a year I have to close up the house and hide inside or else I have trouble breathing. He does call to warn me when he remembers. If he doesn't, the smell lets me know it's time to grab my puppy and run.

Back
Top Bottom