Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

hey thanks for the advice, do you think its too late to start a coop this year?

It is never to late to start anything...a hoop coop is great for a temporary pen.
i am from Albany, WI we would like kid friendly and good layer if that exists?
How much room do you have?
Are you free ranging or are you going to cage?
How many eggs a year do you need?
Are you looking to eat the birds?
How many chickens do you want?
Do you want colored eggs or just white?
Some breeds of chickens do not do well caged, some do not do well free ranging
Some breeds of chickens are great dual purpose chickens and taste good and do well in our weather

the Fond du Lac swap is the 26 of Oct. you should be able to find one there.
To me .....swap and chickens gives me an uneasy feeling. I think disease, illness, and bugs. The healthy ones brought..are right next to the sick ones.

To me .....swap and chickens gives me an uneasy feeling. I think disease, illness, and bugs. The healthy ones brought..are right next to the sick ones.
[/quote]

I agree with that! I don't feel the greatest going to something like that! I woyld rather buy from someone closer and out of there flock!

swaps are good but you do have to be careful, waterfowl are unlikely to bring anything home, you always quarantine any bird brought on to the property even if its been on your property , no matter what. From a show, swap meet whatever...... I quarantine for 6 weeks after any show, Demo, anything.

Plus before you buy handle that bird.... check for bugs (easy) take a good look (missing feathers, color, do they look healthy), listen (raspy breathing) if the seller won't let you touch walk away, ask questions you don't like the answers walk away. All birds at swap meets need to pass certain standards, how picky they are depends on whos putting the swap on, but if they sell sick birds, untested birds the state will shut them down.

SWEET!!!  Congrats on the new addition to your family!
Looks ok to me as far as weight. Ponies tend to get fat a lot easier than they get skinny. He won't eat much at all. A decent bale will probably last him a week, lol. My full size horses eat two flakes in the morining and two at night each. 2nd and 3rd cutting is good. Try to stay away from alfalfa and much grain with a little guy like that. When spring comes introduce him to fresh green grass slowly as ponies tend to founder on very rich feed and they tend to get overweight more easily than horses. I used to have a few minis and they were fun. You will need to find a farrier in your area as well. My husband has fixed more messed up mini feet than anything else. One he brought home was in skis and it took a lot of remedial trimming to get him back to normal.

Congrats!

Lisa

Hi all!!!
frow.gif

Cuties: Chickenship-my other half used to raise/breed/show minis (in fact we still have the electrical solar fencing from the pasture up)!!!!

As far as good backyard starter friendly chickens: Of the dozen breeds I have-the Easter Eggers are the ones that still want to picked up and held regularly-also great layers of green eggs. Orpingtons are my other docile good laying cold hardy favs!

My mini donkeys look almost the same weight wise and last week the vet said that they were at a healthy size, mini's are just hard to keep at a small weight. I try not to let them get the horse's grain, and they free feed on hay.

They have a pretty decent tummy on them!

Can you guys tell that I like to take pictures? xD

hello everyone, I am new to BYC and looking to start a small backyard coop. Any suggestions for birds that can handle the cold well and that are children friendly. Winter layers and large eggs are a plus also. Any suggestions or information about starting a coop would be appreciated as well. Thanks so much.
Lots of good suggestions so far parker...welcome to Cheeseheads! You will need to give us more info thought so we can steer you in the right direction!

Jealous jealous... I saw on Craigslist someone who had fencing for mini horse http://madison.craigslist.org/grq/4089799378.html
Sure you are thrilled!
THat is some $$$ fencing Connie! The $136 is PER PANEL!
ep.gif
One expensive fence for sure!

Congrats on the Anniversary TO...you guys made it this long because all you two do is hold hands and kiss. Must be nice

The Buckeye pullets are starting to lay. They look like pheasant eggs LOL! One even went in the nestbox...that was nice of her.

Stay Safe...bigz
Oh Brent...yeah, what can I say?
idunno.gif
Any of you that know or have seen us...yeah, that is NOT the case! I personally think that we have been married this long because we are both so stubborn! Yeah...if you havent met us both you wont understand. We are both very nice people...just maybe NOT so nice together! Opposites attract? Or opposites repel? Who knows?

My mini donkeys look almost the same weight wise and last week the vet said that they were at a healthy size, mini's are just hard to keep at a small weight. I try not to let them get the horse's grain, and they free feed on hay.

They have a pretty decent tummy on them!

Can you guys tell that I like to take pictures? xD
How old is that mini Cuties? They are not ponies but mini horses and you need to feed them as such. I am sure you are doing your research about hay ans spring grass. IT also depends on the age and how it was raised in the past. There are specific ways to tell about over or under weight. Take a look on line--you will find TONS of info!

OK steaks are going on--I guess I better head out to the garden for the veggie!
have a good one! TerriO

I should have had Minis where I said ponies, but everything I said applies. They tend towards fat. They also tend toward hay bellies. I had several Minis but only one quarter pony. They quarter pony was much more like a horse than the minis (but he was half quarter horse). I had a tiny Arabian type, only 28" at the withers. He was a handful! Then I had one on the large side for a mini as well at 36". Both were registered, but the smaller one really looked like a miniature horse, the other looked like a Shetland pony all the way. Enjoy him, they are sweet! I thought you were going to come out and get some riding lessons cuties...I guess you have been at a swap every weekend ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
THat is some $$$ fencing Connie! The $136 is PER PANEL!
ep.gif
One expensive fence for sure!

Oh Brent...yeah, what can I say?
idunno.gif
Any of you that know or have seen us...yeah, that is NOT the case! I personally think that we have been married this long because we are both so stubborn! Yeah...if you havent met us both you wont understand. We are both very nice people...just maybe NOT so nice together! Opposites attract? Or opposites repel? Who knows?

OK steaks are going on--I guess I better head out to the garden for the veggie!
have a good one! TerriO
Yes after I posted it I re-read it and went wowza....Pricey but hey its metal and not going anywhere cant imagine lifting each panel and better like the set up.
and congrats on the anniversary. This is your anniversary meal? We had extra protein in the broccoli Gary picked for supper
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom