Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Congratulations on the hatch!

H&R I hope you dad makes a speedy recovery!
hugs.gif

Deli, keeping a livestock dog behind a fence for two years would teach them nothing. IMO what the heck could the dog possibly learn on guarding livestock from that???????

In one of the links I provided they discuss teaching the dog to guard chickens. Of course you have got to remember that this is still a very young dog and it is going to mess up. Perfection takes time and you are going to have to prepare for all kinds of mistakes and misbehavior. Patience grasshopper!

I have been enjoying that one blog like site, that guy reminds me of you Jim. His stories about those devil dogs are a good eye opener to those of you with LGD's. I do not think it matters what size your property is for these dogs to do their jobs properly, any operation with livestock to guard can be considered their farm. But of course I have never had one of these dogs and everything I know can be found online so I could be way off base here.

Incubator is sitting steady at 99-100. I'll check them in a week or so to see how many are actually developing. Some of these eggs were collected before Easter...... so I am not very optimistic on a high hatch rate.

Any suggestions on what type of dog to get that will be good with kids and the chickens along with another dog? I've seen a lot of talk about LGD's but I haven't found any close to my area for sale...
Thanks for the help.

Jay, are you looking for a gaurdian? Or just a pet?

Hi Lisa! Lmk when you catch up ;)

Bbl4, I read up on a lot of the things you posted on lgd. Some very interesting stuff on there!! I a m learning. And gathering much info.

Jay, are you looking for a gaurdian? Or just a pet?

Hi Lisa! Lmk when you catch up
wink.png

Bbl4, I read up on a lot of the things you posted on lgd. Some very interesting stuff on there!! I a m learning. And gathering much info.
More of a guardian. We currently have one dog but she isn't much for being a guardian.

Quote: we are getting a Maremma female in about a week or so from now.. she is a puppy .. she will be ready to come home with us on the 20th .. when we talked to the people last week, they still had another female available,,

PM me if you are really interested in a Maremma..

I just got a call from the guy who has the BO's I sold him last year .. He has about 20 eggs for me,, It is about 20 miles to his house.. I suppose for free eggs, plus cost of gas it is worth the drive , eh ? I just came home from town,, I was half way there, wish I would have known..

......jiminwisc............

Kendra you should really look at those web pages. Very informative!
I've read the last 2. Thanks for them. The first is so detailed that I have to wait until I have more time.

For all wondering, Theo must like the new location, having a night light or maybe the raccoons weren't as active, but he only had one instance of barking that was short lived. Successful sleep I had!

Jay- we have a house dog & cats kids, rabbits and chickens. We just bought a Maremma from Jim's stock (AKA Gus and Dora) so did Vicki. I have a male, she has a female. I love my guy. He is great with the kids and our other animals. He is a pup however and needs to be supervised and trained. But he is always happy and makes me smile!

Well after much much contemplating and thinking until my brain could explode, besides moving those **** monsters around my garage for the past 3 hours I've decided I'm only keeping one. I currently have the 200v one running on the 110v power and just had to change a few wires around but can't seem to get the heater working right. It should be basic wiring, unless it just isn't working correctly. The fan even works good, although I'm not sure it would ruin it not running it on the 220 but it shouldn't as it's not getting overloaded. Had to grease up the 110 fan 3 times as it wouldn't turn everytime I'd restart it, working great now. So I planned on just moving the 110 parts over to the 220 machine and be done with it. I needed to get one working asap and had the 110 all moved and went to put the rods to turn the trays and they just will not work without the main machine hooked to it. See now I shouldn't have taken a break because now I'm rethinking again about keeping 2 of them. Gah at this rate I'll never get anything done. I had to stop though as my back is about broken. If I knew I could rewire the 220 machines to 110 easily I would go back to the keeping 2 of them and stop all this nonsense. I bet none of this made sense as my brain is going a million miles a minute, being rushed doesn't help things one bit. Got 2 more calls today for hatching eggs and chicks. Boy people sure talk fast it hasn't even been a week since I had these monsters and word is out.

Good luck everyone with your dogs/puppies. I'm fortunate, mine don't give me any guff.

On a good note, my blr are laying again! Makes me happy, few of the others also are off strike too.

I have posted these little guys now their getting older I am really stumped on 2 of them I had suggestions they were EE but they don't have the little puffs on their cheeks so can you tell me if so Please

Back
Top Bottom