Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Yep, I agree with that Jim....only trouble cw is that you are gonna wish you ordered a bigger kit.....even 10X16 is small when you want more chickens....LMAO!

Lazy day here...just made it home from the tax gal....hope the results are in my favor.

bigz

Our 20x20' seems to be a decent size so far Bigz, but the bachelor pad needs to expand. I'm eyeing up BILs 10x10' shed for spring. Getting it here is another matter entirely........

I started a mushroom garden a year ago when some oyster mushrooms just started growing on some logs DH had cut up. I spent a long time working on it last summer and have collected up many different types of wood. Then with all the tree trimming we did last year, I had a LOT of wood mulch to add. So far I have gotten pretty many oyster & pheasant backs but I am thinking of purchasing some spores too. I am a mushroom fanatic. Would love some other varieties. And I definitely have the room. I lined one entire tree line with logs, probably over 600'. Yes, I do love shrooms.

I hope the dog gets found soon. Night all!

good morning,
I have just about met my quota for jumping through hoops on the puter today.
First I couldn't get online until I logged in .
then I get on ChzHds and have to log in to BYC.

I have no big plans for today.
about all it will consist of is feeding the birds, and then
filling BOTH waterers.

I used to find all kinds of mushrooms while hunting. I had no idea of what was safe and what was not.
In retrospect, I often found morels. lots of white buttons.
but that was before I knew anything about shrooms. I still
would be leary about picking wild ones.

to get spores, you can fill a blender about 3/4 full of water.
drop in a couple of whole mushrooms with stems removed and run the blender for a couple of minutes.
then just pour the whole mixture all over your growing media. rinse out the blender and pour that on, too..

.......jiminwisc......

Good morning! It is 11 degrees here. I suspect it is much colder in the northern part of the state. Thankfully, there are some warm days coming. ;-) We didn't get near the snow amount predicted; don't even have to clear the driveway.

All this talk about growing mushrooms makes me want to try my hand at it. We just happen to have a small oak tree (about 10 inches in diameter) that was knocked over by an older unknown type of tree during a storm last fall. We were lucky enough to find some morels in our woods last year. Not enough to freeze though. (Do morels even freeze well?)
Our bees have survived the winter so far. This is about the fourth time we have tried to establish a hive. We have found evidence of an established feral hive around here. We wonder if it is one of the hives we started that decided they did not like the home we provided them with and left it...

Cranky computers are no fun!

All for now. Have a good day everyone!

Morels freeze very well. My sister probably has about 5 gallons of morels in her freezer right now, lol. Well, probably not since they have been eating them all summer/winter. She lives in Idaho where there are tons of wild morels, they will go up into the mountains on weekends and pick them and freeze them. Idaho actually has laws controlling how much morels you can pick without having to get a permit. A lot of people from all across the US get permits to pick morels and then take them back home and sell them to restaurants.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me about Premise ID... I was talking to a lady about my kiddo showing at 4h fair this summer and she is pushing for the birds to be either of as associated or tested flock status for good biosecurity purposes and these need premise ids... we only have 15 birds in the coop, a few bantams and we will have a few meat birds this year. Help... I don't seem to understand any of this stuff.

Thanks

good morning
waiting for it to warm up outside a bit before I venture out.

cherMoz, you have nothing to lose by trying shroom growing.

U Tube is loaded with ideas for shrooms.

Amazon has tons of places to buy spores or gardens.

.........jiminwisc.........

does anyone know how to put a poll in a reply to a thread? My friends and i are having an argument and i want to settle it.... nothing big just in which word people use to describe something

frizzle, if you contact the moderator sumi on here, you should get your answer on the polls.

Yep Robin 440 square feet is a decent size coop...that's the size everyone should start with, then you could have plenty of additions in numbers of birds. If one figures 10 square feet per bird for large fowl to be locked up in the coop all Winter, your coup could handle 44 easily without problems.

In the woods again today....my piles are growing larger, and my splitter will get quite the workout once I start on the splitting.

I hope you still have the sparegus going Jim?

bigz

Back
Top Bottom