Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Home inspection finished, just waiting for the radon test to be completed. Now the bargaining begins.........

Took a trip over to the house today to show a friend. I cannot wait to close the deal, it is so nice to sit out there and just listen to the wildlife...... The DH will get to build his dream garage too! I need to verify if we can have chickens..... we can have horses though. Seems silly to allow horses but not chickens......

good Sunday morning,
somehow I didn't get notified about people posting here. it happens once in awhile.
we went out for supper last night.
prime rib with one lobster tail on the side.
I'm afraid to take my blood pressure today.

I got the forms in and have just about 10 minutes of work to be ready to pour concrete.
I guess I will be doing the mixing and finishing by myself.
I will do a small section, about 7 ft x 2 ft ,
first to see how it goes.
as long as I keep the strike-off short it shouldn't be so bad.

someone is supposed to be coming to look at the pups today. another "we will see" situation.

I told her to give me a heads up.. haven't heard from her, yet..

do these people think that I don't have other things to do or maybe someplace to go?

Mel, horses don't crow at 4AM..
I think you would have verified the chicken situation before anything else ??

I was just "elected" to make some omelets .
mushrooms, onions, green peppers, cheese and maybe some small chunks of sausage.

......jiminwisc.......

Last edited:
Not going to fire the guy...he just didn't know what hardware cloth is. So he's going to get some on Monday after I showed him. He has done impeccable work around my house and rental property...just the first coop he has built and we are doing/planning this together. It is much much bigger than I thought it was going to be. I think the chickens will like all the room if they don't go out in a snowstorm.

But I'm trying to figure out how to do the deep litter in it. Anybody got suggestions? (Not the deep litter itself, but how do you keep it in with a people door? Should the door open "out"? But then wouldn't the litter spill out? Or do I put some kind of divider on the floor?) The coop is raised and the floor is wood

I raised the door sill on my door 4 inches.
made the door swing in, no fighting the snow to open the door.
the door swings over the bedding without having to plow through it.
slickest thing since sliced bread.
for the door latch, I tossed the striker plate away and made a slot with a piece of oak.
so if the coop gets pushed up with the frost, it will still catch the slot.
you could use a thin piece of metal for the slot instead of the oak.
.....jiminwisc.......

My doors open to the outside to avoid hitting birds behind the door when you open it...a 6" board nailed at the bottom opening of the door keeps the bedding in for the most part. My pen doors are raised 12" with the bottom foot covered with hardware cloth. This allows you to never have problems in the winter with snow and ice. One can tweak what they like best, and make it to their liking.

bigz

One more question about a coop (well, there might be more questions in the future)....what do I do with the floor? Varnish/paint/vinyl ?????

polyurethane ..
I don't like vinyl. it can be slippery .
paint is better, and poly is better yet.
IMHO

make the outside door wide enough for a wheelbarrow to go through.

going to be a few typing errors and missing caps. spilled half a beer on my keyboard Friday and so i have a clone plugged in while I figure out what I am going to do. It is a bit temperamental.
I second Jim's comment on the door wide enough for a wheel barrow. We did that on his suggestion and it is slick when you go to scoop stuff out. Glad to hear the chickens are gone too, I would have mentioned your geese had you not.
welcome to the cheeseheads BrewCrew, I only get on every couple of days sometimes, so had to catch up on the house/skunk/garden/upgrade chatter. I live north west of wausau as well.

yah, that's right GG lives a little north of us.
in the ritzy part of Maine..
we could afford only Stettin.
I got everything ready for the first concrete pour. got the mixer set up wheelbarrow ready.
plugged the mixer in and,,,,,,,tadaaaa!!
nothing.
Next I did the manly adult thing;
I walked away and came into the house.
tomorrow is another day.
did I mention how peaceful it is around here without any chickens ? unbelievable..
gotta go feed the puppies their supper.
I'll be around, though..

........jiminwisc........

Back
Top Bottom