Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

TerriO~the main diff with the Hedemora is they have a full double layer of feathers. There are supposed to be 3 types. One with a smooth outer layer, one with a "fuzzy" outer layer (supposed to look pretty "ruffled") and don't remember the third. Yep, otherwise, they pretty much look like your basic barnyard hens except for the extremely small wattles and combs of course. Big thing is, I am sure you read, is there cold tolerance and their ability to keep laying in temps down to -5. They also aren't as effected by light changes, I am sure because of the northern latitude.

MLH~great ideas for the "other" uses for the lids. Never thought to use them to dry seal flour etc.

Hi, all. Hope you are enjoying the cooler weather. My house is still hot inside so I don't feel like cooking but I refuse to turn on the air. We'll cope.

MLH (I think) asked where I get my grapes? I get them from a vineyard outside of Oregon. It's like another one of Dane Co.'s best kept secrets. LOVE IT! and will continue to go there until my vines are producing enough to keep me happy. They can be found at http://mitchell-vineyard.com...

I can with brand new lids but save the old lids and use them on the jars I use for storage in the cupboard for the things I dehydrate, dry goods, beans, etc. I like glass better than plastic...

Well, I must run. I have been trying for hours to get this stinking kitchen cleaned and keep getting sidetracked (putting up and picking more peppers). Dang! Time flies!

Oh, I forget who got their apples stolen?! That just totally stinks -- I hope whoever stole them chokes on them. I felt pretty bad when the critters stole all my fruit but man, I'd be raging if I thought PEOPLE did it. No respect.

Elaine
ETD:(edited to delete 1) name calling of apple thieves 2) my rant about my neighbor...

Last edited:
BBP: Ive been surfing and cant find pics-what coloring is Isabel? Is that kind of what peekachu is? Lav with the yellow edging?

Yep, kinda like Peekachu only he is supposed to be isabel laced. I know there's a write up about it on BYC somewhere. The stupid goose hunters are shooting towards my house again. I may have to let the dog out. He runs down there when he hears shots, grabs the geese out of the water, then brings them to our shore. So they have to cross the river to get them.

Speaking of stealing apples, I robbed Angiebubs' tree when she was out of town. Lol

Last edited:
BBP; let me know if you find the link....and come "steal" more apples anytime....give it another week and they should be perfect! last year we made a few gallons of apple juice after we had gathered, frozen, feed the deer, apple'd ourselves out, etc....I may try to do more of that this year. Also discovered not all our grapes died off-so may try to pick them and make juice this weekend as well. SO made salsa the other night....going to make and freeze this awesome tomatoe soup recipe for sure this weekend.

Unreal that people would take the apples right out of your yard! Isnt your house far away from the road? Maybe I am confused.
Hey Jim...maybe somebody can bring some of those Royal Palm hens down here for me? Ya know, you really shoulda sold them to me when I was there and asked...that would be one less thing for you to get rid of! I agree...you will be lost without a flock to take care of. I do agree however, that you will have way more $$$ in your pocket! In fact you will probably come out ahead of the game in spring. It would be a neat experiment to try to see just how much would be spent/earned with the birds over the winter vs. selling and buying new stock in the spring. When it is 30 below it definitely would be to your advantage NOT to have to go out and take care of birds for sure!
Just heard the micro beep...thawing hamburger to make some meatloaves for supper. I picked up a butternut squash in town and it was .75/LB! To think of all those squash I let freeze last year....

Better get to it or we wont be eating until 9...again....
TerriOnothungryatall

GARLIC TALK:

I bought garlic from the nearby garlic farm. Thought I'd post the assortment I got:

-Ayacucho
-Siberian
I have several heads of these.

-Osage
-Turkish Giant Red
-Leningrad
-Hnat
-Greek Acropolis
-Amish Rocambole
-Armenian
-Chamisal Wild
-Red Rezan
-Purple Glazer
These are all single heads leftover after filling their orders. They have grown all these. I was so surprised they had hundreds of varieties! They are only a half hour away, so if they can grow these, hopefully I can!

Ok garlic talk done :D

Man...you will have garlic breath for sure!!!! LOL! Save some to share at your bash!!! Are you making a whole bed of garlic...or is that all you are growing?
ep.gif
TErriOthinkingofgarlic

So, anyone around edgerton willing to sell a few production hens? Maybe not production, but I'd like to get in least 3 eggs a week from one. From my bator hatch, I only have one girl. And I have 5 phoenix hens that lay maybe once a week. If that. But I'd like to be getting eggs. PM me or just post here please
hide.gif

So, anyone around edgerton willing to sell a few production hens? Maybe not production, but I'd like to get in least 3 eggs a week from one. From my bator hatch, I only have one girl. And I have 5 phoenix hens that lay maybe once a week. If that. But I'd like to be getting eggs. PM me or just post here please :oops:

Why don't you come to the Mini Bash?! I'm sure we all can come up with a 3 hen total for you. And if you come to the Mini you get yummy food and get to meet the good ol folks from here. (the Southern ones at least). I'm not THAT far from Edgerton, an hour or so, and MLH is making it. She's down by you...

As to garlic Terri... I'm making a garlic bed I guess. Or a garlic strip. A garlic border? I'm not sure how much space I'll need to plant these properly. But I have plenty of space. I'm doing all the garlic to pretty much give away.

I usually garden to give away or make stuff for others. I make teacher gifts for Christmas. I got so tired of buying them the same old crap everyone else does. So last year I made ho made marinara sauce and then dill pickles for them. The year before I made my "5 of a kind" applesauce and a brown sugar body scrub.. Not sure what this year will be. I'm thinking of doing ho made chicken noodle soup and can it? Then may be the special applesauce since its been a few years? I would love to do garlic braids for teachers someday!

In fact, I don't like cherry tomatoes. But I planted some for the chickens! All my tomatoes are for the chickens this year. I planted so late, never put up a fence, so babies get good treats whenever they want! Add to that the bread treats they get everyday. Pretty funny to see 10-15 chickens, ducks and guineas running straight for me... POULTRY STAMPEDE!!!

Today was a great day for once. Halden and I did some errands and it was so low key and stress free. It's been quite sometime since it was just him and me for shopping. Then next week he starts early childhood 4 days a week. I am going to CRY!!!! I don't want alone time this way.

One of the errands was to farm and fleet. I picked up 80 lbs of nutrena layer at $14.50 a bag. I mixed that with 20 lbs of black sunflower seeds. I also picked up a bag of corn to throw in the feed. Just to see if they'd like it. The 50 lb bag was $11.50, and I only put in 1/3 of it. I just like to mix it up a bit to see what they like best I guess.

I guess I better go. Night all!

---HeatherthinkingsheshouldreallyfinishhermaltbeveragecalledJoose---

Back
Top Bottom