Wish me luck.

LMAO!!!! im sorry.. the frist sentence totally threw me into a dexter episode.

Tonight's the night....
lol.png

Good luck!

Quote:
Mom didn't believe that when I told her just about the same thing either! I never have liked to handle raw meat, but I had no difficulty here.

Quote:
My BF thought the same thing. You can do it. I just made a deal with him you cut, I gut and it works out well. I'm getting faster with everyone. I just wish I could do the cut. Maybe if I get a few drinky-drinky in me I will be able to do it. LOL

We think along the same lines mstricer....hmmm we are processing on Saturday morning might be a bit early for a few drinky-drinks and I`d probably end up cutting all my hens and leaving all the roos!!!! One of these days I am just going to suck it up and get on with the task rather than leaving the unpleasant jobs for DH. Mind you I do handle all the pooh!

Good for you for being brave and getting down to the task! I am going to think of you when my turn comes in two days. Although with all the annoying crowing going on I am ready to decapitate each of them to stop the noise
th.gif
right about now.

The fact that we were pretty well sick of the "brutes" helped with getting rid of the roosters. They sure tell you when they're ready to go!

Quote:
I am with you. Today I am ready to send all my roos to the BBQ and just focus on eggs for awhile. I have a group of 7 week olds so might see what comes out of that group. The one I was going to keep from my 19 week olds pecked at me last night and has started giving us stinkeye....I think he just bought himself a first class ticket on the freezer camp bus.

Quote:
Or if you have too many pre-session drinks you could cut your own wrist by accident. Doing The Deed is quite a departure for many of us, especially those raised in a modern urban setting. We're not accustomed to calmly & deliberately killing an animal that we're not disgusted by, afraid of, or threatened by, one that we may know & have cared for, in order to have food on our table. But I've found it rather empowering, to know I have mastered this basic human survival skill. I also consider it the final kindness I can give these birds, to make sure their end is as quick & efficient as possible, therefore the most humane.

Mrs. Feathers -- they were 18 weeks. Dual-purpose birds, so they hung around A LOT longer than the crosses. They ranged from 2.5 (small hens to almost 4 pounds). Mostly dark meat. I've got one that doesn't hardly have a scrap of breast meat, but has legs about a foot long XD

I'd save the alcohol for afters. I had enough difficulty getting the bird and not my fingers as it was
wink.png

Great job. Maybe I can actually do it someday.
You spoke of the yolks in the hen. My grannie told me that when she was a girl it was such a treat to get the "unlaid" egg. I would love to see that in person. Did you eat them?

Back
Top Bottom