Witnessed A Vandalism CLOSE-UP (UPDATE Post# 116)

I would press charges. 100%! Just because you are a "kid" (give me a break at 18!)... you dont get to damage others property and harm things.
I HOPE soo badly the other neighbors press charges on those little twits.
I work with kids like this, they know what they are doing. They didnt care. Period. They didnt care about your property or MAIL. What if an importnat letter was in that box and it got lost/destroyed? Someone disability pay check...SS paycheck..etc...

Quote:
And YOU are a GOOD mother!
woot.gif

Quote:
3 of them were adults with a minor accompanying them. I say don't hit the minor with the felony, hit the adults with everything plus contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Once a human being reaches 18, there is no reason for wanton acts of stupidity to go un-punished.

IMO

I agree 100%. You know better at 18, you simply DO.
And if you dont?? Then you need to have charges pressed on you to wake you the heck up.

Quote:
I agree 100%. You know better at 18, you simply DO.
And if you dont?? Then you need to have charges pressed on you to wake you the heck up.

I totally agree with Boyd's and Redhen's posts!! Especially about important things being in the mail!

Quote:
Even hubby and I both differ, hubby agrees on this one! He has experience and if it is a slap on the wrist for someone to steal or damage, nip it in the bud he said!

My BIL got tired of replacing his mailbox, so he got my husband to help him build one. It is made out of 1/4" plate steel. It is really cute. Looks like a little house with a peaked roof and a slot in the front for the mail. The mailman can open the door easily for larger items. It is painted red. Been ten years and the local vandals haven't hurt it yet. Don't know what happened to them when they tried to whap it, though. Bet they got a bit of a surprise. The box doesn't look like it is made out of steel.

Quote:
If my 18 y/o did that? Yes. Sorry, I hope I've taught him right from wrong enough by now. If he's so stupid as to not have taken that into his brain, I feel he needs the punishment that he earned by being a stupid idiot. My kids have been taught since the get go that mail is federal and they are NOT to open anyone else's mail or do damage to it or the box. My 3 y/o knows this. If my 18 y/o doesn't, well, sorry, I couldn't teach it to him for whatever reason, he's old enough to be considered an adult, he gets treated like one.

X2
18 = an adult.. i would rather see them have the book thrown at them and be forced to face the consequences than to sit back laughing about how they got off with a slap on the wrist

I didn't read all the responses, but I think the cop is trying to steer you from pressing charges by saying they can only press federal charges against them, which isn't true. They can be brought up on property damage/vandalism/even littering charges instead. I think I'd gather with the other neighbors who lost mailboxes and say that we all want to meet with them and their families and talk with them. THEN we'll decide how we want to proceed.

When we bought our house the old owners took their mailbox with them. I put a new pole and mailbox in and the very first night the pole was hit and knocked over. I got a bigger pipe for the base and put it back up but cemented the pole in the ground. The next morning it was a teeny bit crooked but fine. I think someone learned a lesson that second night and it served them right.

Glad to hear your okay.

First off, they may be good kids but this is probably not the first thing they've done, just the first time they got caught. They need to learn their lesson. If they can't do the time they shouldn't do the crime.

Second, actually since they destroyed a mailbox it is a federal offense. Last year a bunch kids, ranging from 16 to 19, went around busting mailboxes, even blew up a brick one. Needless to say they now have records, where placed on probation plus had to replace all the mailboxes ( a total of 34 ) and pay restitution to the owners of $1000.00 dollars to each person. I don't think they'll be doing it again anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom