"Wives tale ish suppliments"

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rittert3, Jun 23, 2010.

1. rittert3

rittert3 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I have heard of ground or flake red pepper for increased laying in cold weather, faster moults, and rodent control in litter and feed. I have also heard organic apple cider viniger in their water helps with something but can't remember what. Does anybody know of any more of these "wives tale ish" suppliment and their uses? I want to put togather a full blown scientific myth busters type project on these so we can put to work the ones that really do work and stop wasting our time and money on the ones that don't. This is anything goes if it sounds shifty and has to do with chicken feeding watering or some other part of their mngmnt tell me.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

Unpasteurized vinegar is a source of naturally occuring probiotics that aid in boosting immune systems, bettering digestion and in doing so, makes for better utilization of nutrients. Also has a great source of Vit. C and potassium. It keeps my birds very healthy....never had any of the illnesses that folks list on here for these many long years.

Never tried the red pepper or the flakes...can't give you any info on this.

Pumpkin seeds contain a chemical that paralyzes parasitic worms and causes them to let go their attachments to the intestinal walls and to be expelled from the body. I've never wormed a flock under my care with traditional de-wormers and they all thrive well with no evidence of worms in their feces.

Dunking a broody hen in a bucket of water a couple of times, while holding her upside down, will change her mind about wanting to sit. This works well for all but the very persistent career broodies. I've used this with good results.

These are all the old-wive's tales that this old ex-wife had to offer..... [​IMG]

3. rittert3

rittert3 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    lol well thanks for sharing. I wonder if the pumpkin seeds would work on tape worm in dogs too? [​IMG] What about the peanut butter and quickcreat balls with a seperate dish of water for rats and mice? anybody heard of this?

4. digitS'

digitS' Songster

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:You will run head-on into the Dunning-Kruger effect - here on BYC, as most anywhere.

Steve

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Songster

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    BeeKissed you might want to clarify which END you're dunking whilst holding the bird upside down [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are the pumpkin seeds raw or can the ones you buy in the little packages work too?

6. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

I use raw...not sure if roasted pumpkin seeds would be the same, as the heating might denature that particular chemical. Also not sure if the chemical is in the hull or the actual seed.

The whole bird gets dunked...she is merely being held upside down to irritate her further! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Songster

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:[​IMG] LMAO!!!

I'll save the seeds from the next batch of Halloween pumpkins for them then!!

8. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Now I want to try the apple-cider vinegar thing.. Hmmm.... and maybe the dunking too! [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most mammals are sensitive to the capsacin in pepper, and many (most) do not like having their tongues burn. Birds are not sensitive to it.

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    ACV has been a staple with me since I was a little girl. My GGGfather drank it daily. He was 104.

I used to be better about it for myself, but I'm not. It has helped me with a heal spur and calcium deposits in my shoulder. It's also help my friends mom give up a walker from arthritis and walk on her own.

Geez I need to go fix myself a AVC cocktail. What a dummy I am.

I have used it for 40 yrs on my show dogs. Well all of my dogs. I used it on my exotic birds and use it now for my chickens.

I use the peppers too, but I'm going to have to check out the pumpkin seeds as well.

I also feed olive oil a couple of times a week. Used to use codliver oil to birds seed for my exotics and switched to olive oil. Helps to keep them from becoming egg bound and keeps the crop clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by