woke up at 5 am by a haunting screaming noise outside GRAY FOX!

chickenlisa
woke up at 5 am by a haunting screaming noise outsideWe woke up to a high pitched high adrenaline hairball sort of noise only outside, with scuffling and screaming included. None of my chickens or ducks were sounding alarm sounds though and when we shied a bright flashlight out to see what was making the noise, we saw eyeballs staring at us from the next property over (an uninhabited, dilapidated barn property.) From looking up different sounds online, and talking to other folks around here, its either a Male Red Fox or a Fisher Cat. We've seen foxes around in the past, so I'm hoping its the same. But I was told that Fisher cats have been seen in the next township over from us (and that's just a quick trip over some RR tracks or through the woods....) I DO NOT want to ever see one of those here...my backyard would be screaming dinner to them w/ all of the chickens, ducks and my 2 new barncats.
Has anyone ever had a run in with them?
Lisa

where are you from

I heard the same type of sound also a fews weeks ago ,it seems that they was a family of Foxes living next door .....Mom and 5 pups , when to go see what it was and seen there eyes well mom ran off leaving her pups behind figuring I would chase her but I didn't I sat on the deck wacthing the pups play around for the longest time and listing to them as they had a high pitch noise something like a cat screeming .....

this past winter I here something like that also only to again see that it was 2 possums fighting in my back yard .
so it could be one or the other

but I'm in mass. and have all kinds of wild life living here and I'm about 500 ft off the road and they are woods all around me , the back half of the property is all woods also with no houses about 20 acres of woodland

Alan​

We're in northern NJ near the Delaware River.
"No matter what it was, unless you are going fishing, it is never good to wake up at 5 am."
Very True!
lau.gif

This was a repeating screaming noise over and over for about 15-25 minutes. Lots of scuffling in the woods noises too. Not far up off the ground or in a tree...
Not sure what it was, but when I googled noises, the Red Fox and Fisher Cat were the most similar. I'll look up rabbit noises too. Whatever it was, they weren't there this a.m. thank goodness!
Lisa

I have never heard of a fisher cat - what is that?

Raccoons make all sorts of wild noises when fighting, and there is a lot of fighting going on this time of year.
Also, barred owls are vocal this time of year too. Barred owls have a typical "who" call but also a weird, wild vocalization they sometimes produce. You can hear their weird calls on youtube I bet.

the fisher cat is related to the weasel and wolverine. Look it up- its an animal I never want to see on or near our property!

Sounds like a poor rabbit became dinner. It can be one of the most gut wrenching sounds. Sounds like a slow torturous death.

Last edited:
My guess would be a rabbit also....

but I watched a hawk grab a pileated woodpecker off our feeder once and it sounded just like the bunnies

Back
Top Bottom