Woke up with 2 dead chicks 5 days old

Woodbooger86

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2021
So all 6 5 day old salmon faverolle chicks appeared very healthy last night.
They were all eating and drinking and showed no signs of stress.

We did have to separate one chick for getting picked on. We also moved another chick with the separated chick to bring them comfort.
After about half a day of monitoring, we noticed the picked on chick had perked up 200% so we decided to bring the crew back together.

Last night before bed we did our normal routine. Then to wake up to two dead chicks was a shock.

So our theory is that those two that we separated may have gotten 'sick' due to temperature shock possibly.

Need some advice or possible explanation please.

Thanks,

Were the separated chicks without any heat for an extended period? If chicks that age get cold, then yes, they probably got cold and their organs shut down from it.

However, there are other reasons for sudden death. Delayed reaction from shipping stress, failure to thrive due to genetic flaws, a problem with the feed, bacteria in the water, and many other unknowns. But it would be a good idea to figure out why the chicks died so that you might prevent more from dying.

Without a lot more information, we can only guess.

Thanks for your response. Being first time owners, it came as a shock.

They were removed from heat for a minute or less. We have been very diligent on keeping clean water and food. Even wiping down their eating and drinking platform several times a day.

We messaged Cackle hatchery today even though they're closed to follow their 48hr reporting policy.

20210411_084953.jpg

We have a thermometer but we're getting another one that's faster and more accurate. We have been in the 100 degree temp pretty consistently. No drafts either.

View attachment 2610010

We have a thermometer but we're getting another one that's faster and more accurate. We have been in the 100 degree temp pretty consistently. No drafts either.
Your heat lamp is way too close to the ground. I'm afraid it is way hotter than you think under it. 100 is too hot, you are going to cook them.

So all 6 5 day old salmon faverolle chicks appeared very healthy last night.
They were all eating and drinking and showed no signs of stress.

We did have to separate one chick for getting picked on. We also moved another chick with the separated chick to bring them comfort.
After about half a day of monitoring, we noticed the picked on chick had perked up 200% so we decided to bring the crew back together.

Last night before bed we did our normal routine. Then to wake up to two dead chicks was a shock.

So our theory is that those two that we separated may have gotten 'sick' due to temperature shock possibly.

Need some advice or possible explanation please.

Thanks,
Did you check for pasty butt? I lost one for sure and possibly two to pasty butt!! Just a thought?? Sorry for your loss 😔

Also I just noticed that you have a plastic container lid, or what looks like one, that your waterer and feeder are sitting on.

If that should accidentally get wet it will be slippery which can cause damage to their legs.
Please put paper towels over it.

90° should be plenty warm enough for almost week-old chicks.

Your heat lamp is way too close to the ground. I'm afraid it is way hotter than you think under it. 100 is too hot, you are going to cook them.

I would check the temperature at both ends before moving the heat lamp. The room temperature, and the wattage of the light bulb, can make a BIG difference in how high or low you need it.

If the other end of the brooder is cool enough (below 80), and the space under the heat lamp is 100, it should be fine.

When the heat lamp is lower, the heat stays in a smaller area. That actually makes it easier to keep the other end cool enough.

Back
Top Bottom