Wonderful suprise!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickieKeeta, Aug 20, 2016.

1. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    I gathered eggs from my chickens, bought an incubator and set eggs. I was not sure if any were developing. I went to look expecting no change and my eyes focused on a beautiful yellow baby chick! There were two more babies in there. I counted six more pips!
    Photos coming!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How exciting! Congrats on the new chicks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  3. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    Thank you! Seven [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] babies now.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations. It is just almost magical isn't it?

5. starla987

starla987 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    HELP!!!!
    We have an egg that is about 19-20 days that mom sat on. Today she pushed it out and won't sit on it anymore.
    We brought the egg in and put it under a lamp, but here is where we went wrong. We opened the airsack at approx 12 NOT the membrane. We have put the egg on a paper towel and wet the membrane. My husband has opened the membrane. Is there a chance this little one will live, it is still moving so far and it is now 4pm

6. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Did the membrane bleed when it was opened? Is the beak out so that the chick is getting oxygen?

7. starla987

Sep 23, 2013
    When my husband opened the membrane he did not take the beak out so....he did not make it[​IMG][​IMG]
    We also noticed he was not as far along as we thought there was alot of yolk left that was not absorbed....
    Thank you for trying to help.

8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Oh...I'm so sorry. How many chicks did you end up with?

9. starla987

Sep 23, 2013
    She only had two eggs, we are new to chickens and hatching so we where taking her eggs not knowing she was broody[​IMG]
    When we figured it out we let her keep the 2 eggs. So we got 1 hatch and well...you know about the other. We learned the hard way.

10. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Sorry to hear that! If you are interested in hatching eggs, you should look into buying a good incubator. It's good to have one around even if you don't plan on hatching incase you need to save any eggs from the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by