Won't Eat Treats?

mommabice

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 22, 2012
Mississippi
My Coop
My Coop
Okay, I felt sure that some yummy meal worms and some other goodies (ultra kibble and some veggies) would bring my almost 5 week old girls running to me. Well, one of them pecked me so hard I dropped a hand full in there, then they just pecked at it and didn't eat any of it.

Any one have chicks who will eat nothing but their feed? Everyone has told me veggies/oatmeal/mash/meal worms/etc are a huge hit with their babies, and mine are not interested in anything but feed. (This also means I have no way to bribe them into liking me).

Ideas?

i've had that happen before. but soon they'll get use to treats and be piggie chickens that will eat anything! i remember i read on here a couple years ago to make your chickens some nice warm oatmeal on a cold day. well, i did that and they wanted nothing to do with it! and they were older too.....just started laying. but now, they will eat ANYTHING! and when i have chicks and they are little, it takes them some time to want treats....at least in my experience. although i must say, mealworms have always been adored!

My chicks won't eat anything but bugs at this point (about six weeks old). I've tried apple, oatmeal, mush from their chick feeder, yogurt, lettuce, banana... I got some small crickets from the pet store and they really liked those! I also got some freeze-dried mealworms which were a hit with a few, and the others took a few feedings to start to like them. They started gobbling grit before they ever wanted any treats, though. They love eating sand!

i have about 13 babys that are almost 3 weeks old 5 of them will not touch anything i put in the cage the others just come running

...are you using live mealworms? If they are live, are they being kept in the fridge? If they are cold, they don't move around a lot...just be really patient (warm the worm up so it is more lively), pick out a smallish live mealworm, and hold it between your thumb and forefinger, and hold it out in the brooder...roll it around slowly between your fingers to encorage it to move, and just wait.

Be patient, and let the babies start to notice it's movements...the bravest one will eventually come up and start pecking at it. when he finally grabs on and realizes it's wiggly and yummy, let go, and watch him run happily around the brooder shreaking in delight, trying to keep his prize away from everyone else.

Also try brightly colored (RED in particular) things...watermelon and tomatoes have always helped me get my babies to try treats.

Sometimes leaving something in there with them will peak their curiosity, and eventually they will go and investigate. Once they realize it is something yummy, they become more open to other things you bring them. I like to put live mealworms in a shallow dish they cannot crawl out of, and leave them in there till the chicks get curious. It usually doesn't take very long. I DO try to just give them one new thing at a time, just to see what they get really excited about.

Last edited:
My 6 chicks are about 2 1/2 weeks old and they could care less about treats, except one. I put the mealworms in and she gobbles them right up. I dropped in some popcorn and she grabbed a piece and ran around into the others like a fullback. I'm sure they will come around. The one that eats more is also a bit bigger than the others.

I've noticed chicks that young usually don't care much about treats.
But, look out when they become adults!
They will see you coming a mile away with treats in your hand!
I guess since the baby chicks need more nutrients for growing, it's a good thing they only want to eat their starter feed.

I have noticed with mine (which are about 3 weeks now) that some are brave/curious while others are not. I have a mixed batch: 2 each of barred plymouth rocks, black sex links, buff orp., and brown leghorms. My two brown leghorns are the bravest and Cleopatra is by far the dare-devil of the bunch! While the others are standing back doing the "if I don't look at it it won't attack me" manuveur, Cleo will walk right up, give IT the side stare and a quick peck. If IT doesn't attack, she tries again.

That said, they are definitely picky. They had a fabulously exciting game of worm football over a worm they found in the dirt sticking to a kale root I gave them. Second most excited they get is over the dirt stuck to a root. Third is a slug or cricket they find and catch themselves on the few times they have had a field trip outside (into a small animal playpen). They do NOT like grapes, or cinnamon bread, or button mushroom. They do NOT like store bought worms. I have not been able to offer then mealworms yet.

I hope they expand their palates more over the coming weeks! I'm sure they will it just takes time.

Back
Top Bottom