Wood duck babies

Jayke-leblanc

Hatching
May 8, 2020
Hello I have a breeding pair of wood ducks and the hen is incubating 11
Eggs that are due to hatch next week, I’m just trying to gather as much info as I can on the babies I want her to raise them but I’m wondering what is best for me to do to provide for them? And any things I should know to do with the babies

Are they kept in an enclosed run? Have you had to provide duck food for the pair already?
I am just trying to determine your setup and if you need to provide food, shelter, etc.

You could clip there wings and free range them thats what I do to my wood ducks I also keep them separate from my chickens, I provide low roosting bars tree branch with a poud which they share with my other ducks and feed them wild waterfowl feed and order live insects and meat scrapes.

You can try letting her raise them I don't. They should be separate from chickens and other ducks so they won't attack the ducklings. You also need water they can get in and out of easily. The enclosure also needs to be escape proof tiny Wood ducks can fit through tiny spaces, not to mention they climb like you wouldn't believe. Make sure it's predator proof rats and snakes can also prey on chicks. Don't forget chick starter food.
I don't let my ducks raise their own but some people do.

Back
Top Bottom