Wood Duck ??? help please

It is not proven that they are all infertile... But most are. The Silver wood duck is from "inbreeding" not "interbreeding". Breed back to the same bloodlines time and time again and you can get cool color birds, but they are far inferior to their properly bred counterparts!

It is not proven that they are all infertile... But most are. The Silver wood duck is from "inbreeding" not "interbreeding". Breed back to the same bloodlines time and time again and you can get cool color birds, but they are far inferior to their properly bred counterparts!
Which ones are fertile?

I just said its not a proven fact a hybrid has never reproduced. I agree it is highly unlikely, but i have seen a hybrid that looked to be a 2nd generation hybrid, and thats not coming from me, that is from a biologist. I know, most of them can't tell a picture of a wigeon from the real thing, but there are some I really respect...

I think most hybrids are not as good looking as their original parents, but I'd love to put a MallardXwigeon cross on my wall that I took from hunting!

Mark,
I agree I have had woodies and calls several times. I keep my surplus young in a pen together and they will readily cross. Woodies will cross with about any duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do see naturally occuring mutations and crosses in the wild from time to time. I do not meen those **** mallard peking crosses either. If anyone has these cross bred birds with wood ducks, lets see some pictures and if anyone has tried to breed them, I would be interested in if they had viable offspring.

I just said its not a proven fact a hybrid has never reproduced. I agree it is highly unlikely, but i have seen a hybrid that looked to be a 2nd generation hybrid, and thats not coming from me, that is from a biologist. I know, most of them can't tell a picture of a wigeon from the real thing, but there are some I really respect...

I think most hybrids are not as good looking as their original parents, but I'd love to put a MallardXwigeon cross on my wall that I took from hunting!
No worries, I just thought you had some insight on some that actually were fertile so I was curios as to which ones they were. Now a lot of hybrids can reproduce such as a blue winged teal x cinnamon teal or shoveler or mallard x black duck and so on but I was curious as to the fertile ones. A friend of mine did an experiment with the Blue Winged Teal x Wood Duck hybrid hen by pairing her up with a Wood Duck drake. They were pair bonded and the male was seen copulating on numerous occasions but both clutches of eggs were clear. Is that science? Not really cause the male Wood Duck could have been infertile as well I guess. Also, I posted a bunch of pictures of Wood Duck hybrids including the mallard one earlier today in this forum.

You do see naturally occuring mutations and crosses in the wild from time to time. I do not meen those **** mallard peking crosses either. If anyone has these cross bred birds with wood ducks, lets see some pictures and if anyone has tried to breed them, I would be interested in if they had viable offspring.
The call woodie crosses did not reproduce as of yet I gave the seven I raised to a friend who has had them 3 years and all infertile eggs

Back
Top Bottom