Wood ducks(update: :'( )

I think OP Means is that it was incubated for 10 days before he/she got it and them they incubated it for another 2 weeks=24 days wich is still early

Quote:
The OP merely stated that the time period in which the eggs were incubated by the hen was unknown, theres no way of telling how long they have been incubated.

Duckchick: just sit back, crank the humidity, and let it do its thing.

Duckchick2011
Read my BYC page.. I raised a lone wood duck, knew absolutely NOTHING about ducks. May have been the wrong thing to do but i didnt know that at the time.
I fell in LOVE with him. I now have 4 very spoiled call ducks and although i loved having all of mylittle wood ducks attention, I would never raise a duck by itself again unless it is unusual circimstances. They need companionship of 1 or MORE ducks. They are not cats or dogs. Good Luck !!

Last edited:
Quote:
The OP merely stated that the time period in which the eggs were incubated by the hen was unknown, theres no way of telling how long they have been incubated.

Duckchick: just sit back, crank the humidity, and let it do its thing.

Oh LOL I thought thats what they meant!

Thanks Hattiegun,

I understand you completely and feel the same way, but by the time I get another duckling...it just seems to long a span of time.

At this point I just want him to hatch(by the way, HOTROD was a beautiful duck and I love your story, sounds so much like me and my mallards it made me laugh, the walks and swimming and running amock in the house, ducks are soooo much fun)

But this whole experience has been a little stressful, I think I would give my left shoe just to know how far into incubation this duck egg is.

I don't know whether he should be in the turner or not, I don't know when to raise the humidity or not, the fact that I am this far suprises me greatly as so many things have gone wrong.

Candling isn't even giving me an answer now, I don't wan't to touch the egg anymore for fear of messing him up.

I took him out of the turner when the air cell got very large and the whole shell was dark, I have no clue if I just messed him up or not,

sigh...What happens will happen....life will find away lol , despite the incompatence of one silly little girl... but I won't be hard on myself, I have done my best and given this duckling a chance he didn't have before, maybe that will be enough.

Thanks everybody for the advice...

Oh yeah, my humidity is about 68 and the temp is 100...it was 99 so the temp in their is rising,

Should I raise the humidity?

If you can i would keep it at 70 or 75
I hand turn all of mine and quite turning upon lockdown.
Sounds like you have done good so far, its up to "it" now, Good luck to you and your little egg.
I hatched out 22 over the weekend that took a while from the time of the internal pip so don't get discourage if it takes a while.

Last edited:
He has finally officially internally pipped
celebrate.gif
and is actively working at externally pipping. I chanced a candeling and saw his little beak waving around and pecking vigorously at the shell, felt him scratching at it when I picked him up.

I feel better somehow, seeing that, even though the battles only half over.

Last edited:
Kansaskid and destin duck are steering you right. If you can get a buddy to help it learn to eat, If not make a mush from the feed and you will have to teach it. Other than that its 50/50. After the first few days it should be fine.
Just dont over think it and you will do fine.
wink.png

Missed part of that lol. The reason they take a little more effort to get to eat is because the momma feeds them until they dive bomb from the nest. They are not wired to feed from a bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
EXTERNAL PIP!!!
celebrate.gif

Its just a small crack about 1/2 a cm in a small raised circle but its a pip no doubt.
He's wiggling in that egg like there's no tomorrow.
clap.gif

celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom