Wood ducks(update: :'( )

I thought you were asking about getting a rehabber's license, lol. So, I had this long drawn out answer on how to get one. Then, I realized you meant a license to keep wood ducks.

I am also looking forward to seeing pictures of your duckling when it hatches.

ohhhhh...I would love to know how to get a rehabbers liscence...please, post it back up...

Maybe I could get both liscensing...it would give me something to study over the summer...

I am going to be a wild life vet anyway
lol.png

Having those licenses might make the vet schools pay more attention to my Resume.

Last edited:
To apply for a federal migratory bird waterfowl sale and disposal permit, you can go to the FWS page and get a application, it costs about $70 or $75 and renewal is annual i think. But you still have to have birds that were purchased legally. There is no way of buying permits or anything to get them legal.

But you don't have to have this just to have them, just to sell/dispose/give them, if you just keep them for "pets" only thing you have to have is a 3-186 form that the seller gives you.

Last edited:
oh don't worry, I am not keeping these guys as pets, I already had that figured out.

I have already contacted the rehaber and she is going to put me in contact with someone to mentor me and help me out with the wood ducks. Someone to rehabilitate them and eventually send them back where they belong... this will make me much happier considering that they are wild and I did feel funny about that...the rehabber was very excited about the project I had undertaken and told me she is going to help me go ahead and get my own liscense...

I do wish someone had told me all this when i first posted...I thought I would only need a permit if I planned to sell them

That's great if you are going to be a vet, the rehabilitation agencies usually like to work with people who are heading into that field.

Your mentor from the rehabilitation agency can probably tell you all the details on how to be a licensed wildlife rehabber. Most of the time, it requires taking a training course or classes and putting in a lot of volunteer hours. It really helps, too, if you are able to keep animals in your house and have an incubator and brooders, too.

Quote:
There is no problem with keeping animals at my house. I am already trying to convince my dad to turn the caved in garage into an Aviary or something. Incubators are no problem either, I actually bought mine on my 17th birthday, its almost three years old now and has seen plenty of action(didn't think a styrofoam incubator would last this long but it certainly has
smile.png
) I have a brooder me and my dad built ourselves(it looks professional really).

I really look forward to taking training course and volunteer hours are something I would have no problem with, anything hands on really.

I am excited once again and glad I didn't squirm away from helping the little things...it has put me on the track I have been wanting to get on.
cool.png

Duckchick2011 where are you in Louisiana. I am close to Shreveport but have all my wildlife license and can help you out.

It is with a heavy heart that I must report the death of the single duckling egg I tried to incubate. He hatched with an extended belly button and died soon after... I feel really bummed about this
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

The other eggs are with an experienced rehaber who happened to have a broody hen handy....

lamike: You are about a full 2 hour drive from my location...

Back
Top Bottom