Wood stove add ons..any one have one from TSC

wilds of pa

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2007
The Blue Mountains of Pa
Wondering if any one has one of these installed in there home, they come from the TSC.

I'm going to install one into our basement and hook it up through are duck-working.. as a stand by to are oil furance..already have a insert fire place but it does not heat our home fully and mainly use this one for spring and fall times.

Just was looking for some input on how they work for you and do you like them

heres the web page of them
http://www.usstove.com/products.php?cat=4

pre-Thanks for any help
Charlie

Thanks for that link Charlie. I have a small wood stove upstairs that heats about 90% of the upstairs and a wood stove downstairs that doesn't have a blower so it doesn't do a good job of heating the basement. I have a fuel oil furnace that is connected is vented through the house but with the cost of fuel oil, I try not to ever let it turn on.

A wood stove like that would really help with heating the entire house. I've been debating on whether to get a new furnace or figure out a way to get a wood stove that would hook into the vent system.

Gives me something to think about.

I didn't look too close at the items in the link but is that one of the big wood burners that goes outside and uses your home furnace to blow the hot air into your house?

I had never seen those before coming up here and if we ever have to install a new furnace we are going that route.

Those are all indoor furnances. I have been researching the outdoor versions to add to my house in the next couple years (as soon as I can pull the $6000). They seem to be a pretty good idea and can be added without a lot of extra work. I don't really have a place for an indoor stove but I like the idea of keeping the mess outside anyway!

Angie, no these type will mount in a basement or on a non-combustible floor, you can burn coal and wood in them, you can injunction burn your oil furnace and the wood furacne at the same time or use as an independent stove to your oil furnace, they are considered a furnace. i know the type you mean for out side, but its very expensive to put one of those in as you need to have a backhoe come dig trenches to put all the piping and works in to install one of those type..

Buster these would probably work well for you as well,
i have a endless supply of my own wood, i have 8 acres of woodland plus my nabors wood lots which they allow me to take what ever i want.

Charlie

Last edited:
Wilds,
I have had the same wood furnace in my home for the last 13 years, heating with wood takes a lot of dedication, not to just get up and go get wood but the transportation, splitting, moving the wood inside the house and then loading the furnace every 4-8 hours, at times it really sucks.
If I were to do it over again I would go with an external unit that I can back my trailer up to and cut way down on the manual labor. The outside units also have a larger firebox and in turn takes less time. I have a friend with an outside unit, he loves it, he heats his house breezeway and garage with it and saves time by not having to split and carry everything into the house.
Good luck!
Dave

Dave you are right about work for some, i cut and split 5-6 cords yearly, the reason for me using in my basement is i can back my trailer right in to my basement were i want the wood, and have a john deer 4x4 tractor pulling my trailer and can get right up to my trees i cut down then move all the wood to were i want it with not much work..I have a gas powdered wood splitter as well, doesn't take me to long to pile up the wood. Almost every year i make maple syrup so I'm very accustom to splitting wood and burning it.. I always have my tree's downed and split and cut before the next season, so all my wood is split and dry for almost a year in advance of the next..

edit to add:
This stove will be an alternative to the oil furnace, if i don't feel like burning i don't have to. if we are gone for a period of time i don't have to worry about anyone coming and tending/loading a fire for me. just set the oil furnace to run around 60 degree's and go, no worries about my pipes freezing in this case..

Charlie

Last edited:
Wood stoves work great for me too because DW's grandpa has river bottom property that always has downed trees. We cut 9 pickup loads of wood from there this year and I think that I will have quite a bit left over after winter is over.

I saw a place when I went hunting where the Forest Service has cleared trees and piled them in huge piles. I may drive up there for some loads of nice pine to burn next winter in addition to the cottonwood I get from the river bottoms.

A stove like that would be much more efficient than my current setup. I am going to look into that seriously.

Buster do they require you to get a permit for that wood or can you just help yourself to it..??? just wondering as i know here some place they will let you get it free and some you must get a permit..

I do burn pine in my evaporator, but never in my insert up stairs..

i think in these furnaces you could mix and match hard woods and sappy woods as well.
I know the outside type furnace i have a narbor further down the road told me he burns uncured wood right along with the cured wood.
which i thought was pretty neat, i ques once that type is going everything burns right up. He is always looking for scrap building materials to burn as well.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom