Wooden egg

Ckm

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2021
Virginia
I have six RIR who will be six months old next week. They have been laying eggs for about six weeks and are laying 5-6 eggs most days. They have four nesting boxes but only use one. All but about 6-8 of their eggs ( out of 130+) have been in the one box. I had two wooden eggs in each box but once they were laying regularly removed the two from their primary box. So… today one of my girls was in the nesting box for quite sometime while I cleaned their run. When she came out I went to get her egg and found a warm wooden egg from the nesting box beside her where I expected her egg and the second wooden egg was in the coop not the box. Should I just wait to see if this happens again. I removed the two wooden eggs in question but left the others. Is she brooding? I don’t have a rooster. Thoughts? Thanks

She could be lounging or a slower layer (not sure how intimately you know her laying habits). She's not broody unless she's wanting to stay on the nest day and night, as well as showing other common broody signs (i.e. missing patch of feathers on chest, puffing up, flattening down, tik tik tik sounds).

Thanks. I am learning their habits. I have one who has usually laid by 6:30 (sometimes even before I let them out). Then three ( who this chick is part of) who usually lay by 10:30 or so and the last two seem to lay later afternoon. I will just watch her closer.

Well, yesterday my six girls only laid four eggs which I know isn’t a concern but today there were 8! I am as sure as I can be that only four were laid yesterday and that when I went in the run and checked the coop at 6 am today there weren’t any….. so I googled can chickens lay more then one egg a day and of course got some yes answers and some no answers. I swear these girls keep me hopping on every level. But I am so loving being a chicken lady.

Back
Top Bottom