Woods-Style Coop Construction---Help appreciated

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I looked at the diagrams for building a WOods-style coop.

Q Are the spaced between the rafter left open for air movement? I'm rereading everything, hoping for one sentence that addresses this. I know the old building left them open for air flow, but not sure on the Woods design. WOuldn't the cold air come in and fall on the birds on their roost, or is the pocket of warm air enough to protect the birds??

Completely sealed? Only the doors and windows for air movement? OR are the rafters at the top left open?

COMPLETELY sealed. You will get plenty of air flow through the windows, including the upper monitor windows, as long as they are the proper size. Don't chinze out and put in little baby windows. And yes, both ends of the upper rafters are sealed. You leave them open, and you get some hard winter winds blowing at the open front, and you will create a windtunnel in there in the winter, and you don't want that. You want the back of the coop to be tight. You'll get plenty of winter air exchange through the open front. Don't have to re-invent the wheel here. This is a proven design, no need to mess with it.

Quote:
Thanks Jack-- I couldn't find the particulars in the Wood design-- just know other designs with out big open windows, use the rafters as the ventilation. Thank you.

-------------

Trying to get a few pics of the construction. Will post when coop is done.

THanks!!!

Roof is 2/5 plywooded.
Back wall is complete
2 side walls need onw small peice each.

THen hang windows at monitor , and put in a temporary wall.

A few little errror here and there, but a little thinking finds a solution. MOstly made of scrap plywood, old wooden shipping containers, and old windows. Rafters were new 2x4 16 " apart and the walls are old PT for corner posts and base of walls. New 2x3's for wall supports.

Lots of screws though. GOes fast and easy to fix if a problem. lol Nails for the roof. Plan to paper it for now . . . rolls of asphalt shingling later .

Thanks Jack-- I couldn't find the particulars in the Wood design-- just know other designs with out big open windows, use the rafters as the ventilation. Thank you.

-------------

Trying to get a few pics of the construction. Will post when coop is done.

Check out pgs 34 and 36 of the online book. Pg 34 shows a diagram of the way they built the eaves. Pg 36 talks more about building the eaves.

Back
Top Bottom